Caught in The Act
Libor's Excellent Czech Republic Clinic Tour
Our good buddy and contributor Libor Hadrava went back to his native Czech Republic for a clinic tour in March. Libor, author of In-Depth Rhythm Studies and a polyrhythm and meter fanatic, conducted three clinics and four masterclasses on his Rhythm In Time tour, while visiting the cities of Teplice, Vysoké Mýto, Pardubice, and Hradec Králové . Between bites of pork, dumplings, and sauerkraut (a national dish) he gave away copies of DRUM! and some free subscriptions (thanks, Libor), as well as imparting his unique brand of inside drumming knowledge.
Yes, let's get enthused about drumming.
Libor was stoked about reaching all ages in his audiences.
15/8 is not that hard. Honest.
Hats off to Pearl, Vater, and Dream Cymbals, who helped underwrite Libor's clinics in the Czech Republic.
I'm thinking Libor is enjoying this Pearl kit.
Important rules for clinic tours: Be sure to bury the locals in DRUM! swag.
Caught In The Act: Matt Halpern
Artist: Matt Halpern
Where: Carrboro, NC
Venue: Cat's Cradle
Periphery's tour kicked off this week in North Carolina and we got shots of Matt Halpern in performance and giving a class in a bar. Who knows? It's a trend that could catch on. Matt is on the cover of DRUM!'s February 2015 issue with an interview that takes you inside his playing secrets and survival tips for today's drummers.
Remaining Tour Dates
- January 14 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Revolution Live
- January 16 New Orleans, LA House of Blues
- January 17 Houston, TX House of Blues
- January 18 Dallas, TX House of Blues
- January 20 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theatre
- January 21 Phoenix, AZ Club Red
- January 22 Los Angeles, CA House of Blues
- January 23 Anaheim, CA Yost Theater
- January 26 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
- January 27 Portland, OR Hawthorne
- January 28 Seattle, WA El Corazon
- January 30 Salt Lake City, UT In The Venue
- January 31 Denver, CO Summit Music Hall
- February 2 Minneapolis, MN Varsity Theater
- February 3 Chicago, IL House of Blues
- February 4 Detroit, MI St. Andrew’s Hall
- February 6 Toronto, ON Opera House
- February 7 Montreal, QC Corona Theatre
- February 8 Albany, NY Upstate Concert Hall
- February 9 Rochester, NY WaterStreet Music Hall
- February 11 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
- February 12 New York, NY Irving Plaza
- February 13 Silver Spring, MD The Fillmore
- February 14 Philadelphia, PA District N9ne
For more info visit Periphery on Facebook.
Caught In The Act: Robert Downs Outtakes
Photograhper: Robert Downs
Subject: Cover Shoots For DRUM! Magazine
Robert Downs has been a regular contributor of covers and inside photography for DRUM! in the past decade. Here's a series of outtakes from four of his shoots.
Steve Jordan with Robert
Stanton Moore was posed on the banks of the Mississippi.
Brann Dailor of Mastodon made a great camera subject.
Middle East To Cuba: Journeys With Street Drum Corps
During their recent ten-year anniversary, Street Drum Corps got the chance to visit US military installations in the Middle East, Africa, and Cuba and to see a lot of countries around the world. We asked Frank Zummo to send pics of their journey as he and co-founders Adam and Bobby Alt traveled the world. They got to play at several bases, and had a lot of fun, but as Frank says, "The best part of the trip was performing for the troops and their families."
Chilling under the Flag of Bahrain.
Visiting musical groups have been a staple at American military bases for a century.
On stage in Djibouti, Somalia.br>
Flying in Cuba.
Welcome to Cuba.
Did that washing machine fly with them?
Caught In The Act: Nashville Drum Show
Nashville Drum Show impresario George Lawrence, also the publisher of Not So Modern Drummer, was nice enough to offer some photos to us from the show, as we didnt' make it out to Nashville for the event on September 18 and 19, 2014./p>
By all accounts it was a good show, with tons of vintage and custom gear, some interesting clinics and a great vide. For more, and there's plenty of good stuff, check out the Facebook page here.
Not So Modern Drummer, engraved
I'm thinking I need a Porkpie snare.
Engraved Taye piccolo snare
Curt Sines of Artisan Drumworks.
Artisan Drumworks snare drum of cocobolo wood.
Acid-etched Billy Baker drum
Beat Boogie Drums
Bello Fiberglass Drums.
Jeff Hankin of Carolina Drumworks
Beautiful work at Carolina Drumworks
Swindoll Drums. Curly maple stave. Wow!
Vintage Rogers and Camco drums. Great show.