Has Travis Barker Lost His Cachet?

Posted: June 30, 2010 10:40 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

A handful of drummers have consistently been able to deliver incredible newsstand sales for DRUM! Magazine over the years, and Travis Barker has always been at the top of the list, which is why readers have seen him on the cover so many times. But in 2009, when we put him on the cover to talk about the Blink-182 reunion tour, it was our worst-selling issue of the year. I still think he’s an incredible drummer, but I want to know what you think: Has Travis Barker lost his cachet?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 03, 2010 03:18 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I agree, he is an incredible drummer. He has also been through a lot. So he is definitely an over-comer as well. I do not think he has lost anything. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I think that peoples taste in music changes. And with more and more bands hitting the music scene, people tend to follow the next “big” band, or new sound. Maybe he just needs to find a new way to market his music.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 11, 2010 11:05 AM

bonzaibob2000

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3
Andy Doerschuk - 30 June 2010 10:40 AM

A handful of drummers have consistently been able to deliver incredible newsstand sales for DRUM! Magazine over the years, and Travis Barker has always been at the top of the list, which is why readers have seen him on the cover so many times. But in 2009, when we put him on the cover to talk about the Blink-182 reunion tour, it was our worst-selling issue of the year. I still think he’s an incredible drummer, but I want to know what you think: Has Travis Barker lost his cachet?

You’ve got to be kidding!!! Travis has done what most drummers only dream about, sitting on a bar stool telling anyone who will listen how it’s going to be DIFFERENT when I get to that level; is as far as most of us get. Not Travis, he said, “I got tattooed-up so I couldnt or wouldnt get a real job”. Now, that’s commitment. Let’s not forget that he lost his good friend in a plane crash too. Has Travis lost his Cachet? COME ON. REALLY?

Signature 

Bobby Peters

Posted: July 12, 2010 09:26 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Hey Bobby,

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I agree that Travis is one of the most committed drummers working today, and deserves tons of credit for his seemingly endless creative drive, which is even more impressive when you consider the losses he has experienced in his life. And as I wrote in my first post, I think he’s an incredible drummer.

However, none of that has anything to do with his cachet (in other words, the degree of approval that the public feels about his work). I asked the question because our 2009 cover story on Travis sold poorly — not only in comparison to his past DRUM! covers, but also when compared to the other cover stories we published in 2009.

So the question is not whether or not you believe Travis is incredible. I can’t argue with you — he’s still amazing. The question is whether drummers care as much about his work as they did back when his covers were virtually guaranteed to be our the best newsstand sellers.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 13, 2010 10:12 AM

bonzaibob2000

• Newbie Rank

Sorry Andy, You’re right, but, as I think you know the general public is so fickled that he’ll (Travis) need to light his hands on fire to get more ink/press. Or he could dress like lady Ga-Ga. It could be that Blink-82 has lost it’s cachet not Travis. Not to blow smoke but I’ve seen you play a few times and I’d rather watch you do a killer shuffle than watch Travis wear out his cartilage and joints at 250bpi’s I use to play that way with no warm-up and now (at 54) I’ll just stick to the groove and watch in aw at people like Travis. To answer your Question….I have no clue why. Maybe there just tired of to much of the same thing or maybe because he’s young, there’s not much more to say about him. anyway Buddy, keep up the good work
Sincerely, Bobby Peters.

Signature 

Bobby Peters

Posted: July 25, 2010 06:12 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171
Rev.D. - 03 July 2010 03:18 PM

I think that peoples taste in music changes. And with more and more bands hitting the music scene, people tend to follow the next “big” band, or new sound. Maybe he just needs to find a new way to market his music.

Rev. I totally agree. It happens all the time. My generation gets too complacent with the world in front of them. Think about it, how quickly did video game systems progress in the last five years as opposed to previous decades added up? People in general look for the next big thing and Travis simply became a bit of a victim of that. The questions isn’t really “Has Travis Barker Lost His Cachet?” It should be “Can People No Longer See The Forest Through the Trees?” That being said, the TB issue was on of my favorites so far…Just saying.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: July 27, 2010 10:29 AM

bonzaibob2000

• Newbie Rank

All I know is my 18 year old Daughter thinks he’s cute (oh, please) which should sell Mag’s if Drum! was a Boy toy magazine. But I digress. Sorry. Travis will find his nitch AGAIN and it will be “Off to the races” One more time. I hope.

Signature 

Bobby Peters