Best double pedals right now?

Posted: October 26, 2012 11:03 PM

Christan

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Planning on buying a new pair of double kicks and was wondering which ones are best (irrespective of price).
Also how much difference is there between chains and direct drives?

Been looking mainly between pearl demon drives, axis longboards, tama speed cobras, DW 9000s, and the Trick pro 1-v big foot. Are there any other major contenders?

Any advice or personal preferences with reasoning would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Posted: October 28, 2012 08:49 AM

JDragon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 23

Hey Christan- seems not too many people are around here much! I have used 2 Ludwig Speed Kings when I started (so many years ago!) Then switched to DW and now use Iron Cobra double on a single bass. I like the Iron Cobras best due to speed and weight. Try the pedals out in-store till you ‘feel’ what you want… the Speed Cobras seemed too ‘light’ for me- I want some ‘weight’ to the pedal and that helps me with speed- the lightweight Speeds and Axis pedals just seem to ‘float my foot’ and not let me connect with as much articulated hits. Each has a different ‘feel’- the direct drive are fast, but I like the chain as I feel it to be more fluid….So to review- (MY 2cents!)- try them out till the shop kicks you out! Only YOU can decide what will work best for your style and articulation. Good luck shopping!

Posted: October 28, 2012 08:53 AM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

Hey guys. We’re in the middle of a rebuild so apologies. Please note that the writers, editors and publishers of DRUM! check in regularly. If you’re questions don’t get answered please feel free to ping again and they’ll get to it. The industry access that is available is so crazy I’m surprised more people don’t take advantage of it but we’re hoping to fix that with the rebuild.

Posted: November 01, 2012 06:00 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I like the Trick pedals.  Lots of adjustments, solid build, fast & smooth.
Direct drive pedals have less slop than chain drive.

Signature 

loud is my forte