ever been treated like you were going to steal something at a drumshop? i have!!!!!

Posted: September 11, 2010 06:16 PM

metalheadsammy

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

i recently visited Atlanta pro percussion to purchase several things. boy was i disappointed!!!! when i entered the place i had some young punk following me around every step i made. it would have been different if he had asked “may i help you” but i didn’t even get that. every time i touched something he would either touch it behind me or move it all together. granted I’m 6’1” 270lb 46 year old metalhead and covered with tats and have very long hair. but thats no excuse. i finally asked him if there was something he needed, he just stared at me like i was gona eat him or something. he proceeded to watch me like a hawk. on my right shoulder i have the sabian cymbal phoenix logo tat; my 18 year old son who I’m trying desperately to get involved in drum, was with me and i was showing him a t-shirt with the logo on it that was on my arm. my son thought that was cool but then the guy came and arranged every shirt as we touched them. my son got P.O.ed (angry) and went to the car (so much for getting him involved). i just left because i have a short fuse and didn’t want to spend the night in jail over that little punk. SO WARNING DON’T GO TO ATLANTA PRO PERCUSSING, unless you want to see what its like to be treated like a theft!!!

Posted: September 30, 2010 07:58 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

Bummer. Did they have the gear you wanted? Maybe just call the manager and let her know they hired a jerk. Money talks after all.

GJS

p.s. You showed your son the important lesson of restraint. Good for you for being a positive role model.

Posted: September 30, 2010 10:28 AM

Pass.Of.Era.

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 11

Wow, that blows my friend. I’m fortunate enough to have developed friendship with many of the guys in the drum department at my local music store.

I agree with Skulmoski, definitely phone the manager and tell him about your experience. Did you happen to catch the employees name?

-Jonathan

Signature 

Tama Warlord Masai - Zildjian Cymbals - Demon Drive Pedals - Evans Heads

Posted: September 30, 2010 12:22 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Hey Jonathan,

I think you’re right – it’s wise to find a drum shop where you can develop an ongoing relationship with the salespeople. Then you’ll get the best service, best advice, and hopefully best prices. Plus, I still think the counter at your local drum shop is a great place to hang with your peers and talk drums (almost as great as this message board!).

And yeah, I would never, ever do business with a drum shop that treats me with disrespect. I remember an occasion years ago when I visited a drum shop in the SF Bay Area just to pick up a couple pairs of sticks. I was in my thirties at the time and had played drums for more than 20 years, so my brand loyalties were solidly entrenched long before then.

Anyway, I went to the stick display and didn’t see any models made by my favorite brand, so I asked a salesperson if they were out of stock. The guy behind the counter (who looked to be at least ten years younger than me) then proceeded to lecture me in a really condescending manner about how lousy my favorite sticks were. Okay, I can understand how he might have wanted to convince me to try another brand, but I couldn’t believe how rude he was to treat me like a rank amateur.

Long story short – I found another shop that carried the gear I liked, made friends with the staff, and never went back to the other store.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 30, 2010 06:37 PM

Carl Peterson

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

I think you handled that well..That happens to me too sometimes..I’m on the road allot and ck out shops when I can..I do the opposite though..I will like look around and pretend to stick something in my shirt just to freak them out..Especially when its some young guy who doesnt know about drums..

Another thing that drives me crazy is when you walk into a shop and some young wanna be employee is trying to wail on a drum pad while youre trying to have a conversation..Also when you walk in theyre like..“Ah hey dude, whats up??...what can I help you with dude”..?? (me)-“Oh I doubt you can help me at all..seeing I was drumming way before you were an itch in your dads pants,and I know more about drums in my little finger than all you “dudes” put together..I think I will just look around..but thank you..and by the way..its MR DUDE”

Posted: October 01, 2010 06:41 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171
Carl Peterson - 30 September 2010 06:37 PM

I think you handled that well..That happens to me too sometimes..I’m on the road allot and ck out shops when I can..I do the opposite though..I will like look around and pretend to stick something in my shirt just to freak them out..Especially when its some young guy who doesnt know about drums..

Another thing that drives me crazy is when you walk into a shop and some young wanna be employee is trying to wail on a drum pad while youre trying to have a conversation..Also when you walk in theyre like..“Ah hey dude, whats up??...what can I help you with dude”..?? (me)-“Oh I doubt you can help me at all..seeing I was drumming way before you were an itch in your dads pants,and I know more about drums in my little finger than all you “dudes” put together..I think I will just look around..but thank you..and by the way..its MR DUDE”

I have to chuckle cuz there’s this kid (here I go again) that works at my local GC and he dumb as a rock with drums. I hate talking trash on people but he doesn’t know his rear end from a hole in the ground. I’m 18, he’s 26…he’s been formally taught, me not so much…here’s the kicker…he works in the drumming industry and has years on me drumming and I had to explain to him the difference between a one-up/two-down and a two-up/one-down drum set-up. I know what your talking about Carl. I really do but it’s funny since I probably still fall under the “I was drumming before you were an itch in your dad’s pants” category lol

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 01, 2010 07:14 AM

Carl Peterson

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Yeah..I dont like to dog anyone honestly..Its just that just because you were “taught” to play all this tecno-stuff and you can pull it off, DOES NOT make you a drummer..I know some kats who are unbelievable corp type guys,but yet behind a kit, they have zero groove but come off with this “Im a great player” attitude.Cracks me up..Once I was watching a kid in a GC shredding on a double bass kit..I asked him to sit behind the 4 pc kit and play…He was dumbfounded..I showed him some old school Bonham with one foot..He told me, its just easier to play with 2 pedals..I just shook my head..hahahaha….kids.

Posted: October 01, 2010 08:28 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

I’ve seen those kids too. I’m one of them but I have groove too. not trying to toot my own horn but I can play double bass stuff and I can play a lot of Bonham stuff. Gavin Harrison is the only person I’ve really had trouble trying to copy. well…him and the ridiculously fast double bass players. George Kollias, Tim Yeung, Jordan Mancino…them. lol But i had a similar experience with that when I went to GC and started playing A Fool In The Rain by Zeppelin and some punk about my age started wailing away trying to be travis barker and then told me he’s better than me. I told him to play the shuffle i was just playing and he couldn’t do it. then he told me to play all the small things by blink 182 and I played what i could remember better than he could. things like that are kinda fun but there also an eye opener on how much we who know need to teach those who don’t.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 26, 2010 10:16 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

I live in Manteca, California haha and we have a guitar center like 15 minutes away from here, and the sticks cost like 7$ at the most (except the bundles of course) but I never have a ride to get there (Modesto, CA), so I usually have to go to this un-fine establishment known as “Janis Music” and their Vic Firth 5B’s are friggin’ 18$!!!  outrageous right?  I was so close into doing a 5-finger(or wrist) discount but then again I’m super good friends with a worker there which plays sax for a reggae band, makes him real sexy lol

“Rlrr~Lrll, can’t beat that beat!!!!!!!!!! raspberry

Posted: October 26, 2010 10:54 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

$18 per pair? That’s a heck of a lot, but unfortunately, that’s what small mom and pop music stores often have to charge just to keep the lights on. Good for you for resisting temptation. It’s a tough economy out there and everybody is doing whatever they can to keep afloat, including small music stores.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: October 26, 2010 12:48 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

There is one shop in particular that is just a few blocks from my home. I had been going there since I was a kid, and the owner would always say “come back when your gonna buy something.” I never did like that. Fast forward three decades, I am good friends with the owners and employees. But every time I go to that shop they always follow me around as if I am going to steal something, even though they have known me for thirty years. They do, however, always ask if they can help me with something. Maybe it is just good customer service that is rare these days, and is hard to find at big chain stores. Well, they never have anything I need in stock, so I don’t shop there too often anyway.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 26, 2010 01:06 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Wow. Talk about getting mixed messages!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: October 26, 2010 02:19 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Yup. But they are old friends, and they are a mom @ pop store, so despite their smaller inventory, I try to give them business when I can.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 26, 2010 09:10 PM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

Andy, I love reading your stories in the beginning of the magazine, I always look forward to it because it is super motivating, making me wanna learn more and more every day.  I wanna ask you (or others) for some advice considering I want something to work on, especially tom fills for creative use, do you think grouping patterns together through each 4/4 bar would be a difficult task, because I’m seeming to have real trouble trying to fit things together because I don’t regularly practice fills or tom usage alot, I need some advice please??? :o