Burying The Bass Drum Beater

Posted: June 30, 2010 09:55 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

It’s a bit hard to admit, but after playing drums for 46 years, I finally mastered — and appreciate — the ability to plant a solid kick into the bass drum without burying the beater into the batter head. As a result, my bass drum sound is much more resonant, my notes are more articulate, and I feel more relaxed behind the kit. Playing drums is a process. Not a destination.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 03, 2010 02:44 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Congratulations! I used to bury the beater when I was younger. When drumming was all about emotion and teenage angst. Now drumming is all about economy of motion, ergonomics and playing for the song. Maybe I got old, maybe I got better?

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 03, 2010 02:54 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

I like to think it means I’m getting better (even though I also am getting old!).

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: July 03, 2010 02:59 PM

Rev.D.

Probably a little bit of both. LOL

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 12, 2010 11:17 AM

Dave Heim

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Agreed on all counts!

I believe there is a difference between knowing how to burying the beater with purpose and just wailing on the thing with a screaming case of gorilla foot!  I’m a big fan of the former.

Posted: July 12, 2010 11:52 AM

Rev.D.

Gorilla Foot is not good. I played a show a couple of weeks ago where the band that opened up for my band had a drummer with serious Gorilla Foot. One of the stage crew had to run out on stage about five times during their set to push the base drum back into its original place because the drummer played so hard he kept pushing it forward. The bass drum spurs were even anchored on a carpet! I’m very glad he was not playing my kit at the time!

Signature 

Posted: July 27, 2010 02:14 PM

Ledfoot

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

It takes a bit more discipline to play a fast beat and maintain good beater technique.  I also used to be guilty of burying the beater, but after a long absense from drumming made it a point to learn better technique when I started to play again.  The most amazing thing to me is that the window of tunning range on my kick drum is better when I am not bashing the beater into the head and deadening the natural vibrations.

Posted: July 27, 2010 02:24 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

So is that why they call you “Ledfoot?”

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: January 22, 2011 12:58 AM

BAM_BAM

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I only every really caught myself burying the beater with my hi hat foot. I had spent so long playing single kick that it was a habit. I had to get the strength up in my leg to hold myself up and balance on the stool while playing double kick. Its took a while and I’m still working on it. But I have found playing heel down and then switching to heel up when speed is need helps me maintain balance on the stool. Sometimes I even take my foot off of the boards and stretch them out while the other foot takes over for a bit. But thats only our really long gigs where we are the only band playing for an all night kegger.

Signature 

In Sanity’s Defense (Joined 2010)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486 or http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486

Demise of Desdemona (Formed 2011)