1 of 2

5 Creative Drumming Albums that inspire your playing?

Posted: September 27, 2010 05:10 PM

sirock

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

Like most soul searching drummer’s im constantly on the lookout for fresh musical idea’s to help me evolve as a player, i think alot of us tend to get stuck in a rutt when it comes to creativity from time to time and sometimes all it takes is to hear another drummers spin on a particular beat to spark a dozen new ideas in our own playing!!!. So what id like to no is your top 5 creative Drumming albums that evoke creativity in your playing?

Cheers

Simon (o:

Posted: September 28, 2010 10:06 AM

groovology

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Uh oh… desert island drummers discs?  This is really hard… but I’ll give my five that provide me with regular inspiration:

Steely Dan Aja:  Pretty much covers the gamut of taste in various styles, esp. with Purdie’s Shuffle and the amazing Gadd. Actually, the whole album is a showcase for “drumming done right” and every note is a chance to learn from masters of the trade.

Tony Williams Lifetime Greatest Hits: I hope someday I can bring the same level of energy and intensity that Tony did to his music. I never really appreciated his genius until a band I was in tried to cover one of his tracks.  I bow to his mastery of time keeping and focus. 

Tower of Power Back to Oakland: If I want to learn from the master of independence, I put on this album, or pretty much anything from TOP.

Bill Bruford Feels Good to Me:  I think that Bruford is completely misunderstood due to his years in Yes.  The guy is a feel drummer, and this CD in particular feels good to me. 

Virgil Donati Serious Young Insects:  If I want to be “put in my place” I just listen to a few tracks off of this.  I think Virgil, along with perhaps Marco Minneman, are two of the most under-rated drummers ever, and Virgil does things that I can’t believe are humanly possible.  He’s a nice guy too, which makes it all the more perplexing!

Posted: September 30, 2010 10:17 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

I bought Led Zeppelin 1 when it was released. I never heard such drumming! Then Zoot Allures (Zappa) and Waiting for Columbus (Little Feat) took my appreciation for innovation in two different directions. An amazing trio of drummers.

GJS

Posted: October 01, 2010 05:59 AM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

I’m so biased but I’m gonna have to say Porcupine Tree - The Incident (Disk one and two)

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 20, 2010 07:08 AM

Vindrums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 11

Frank Zappa “Roxy and Elsewhere”(Ralph Humphries and Chester Thompson)
Led Zeppelin Physical Graffitti (Bonham)
Screaming Headless Torsos 95 (with JoJo mayer)or Live (with Gene Lake)
Frank Zappa Buffalo (Vinnie Coliauta)
Porcupine Tree Anestetize (Gavin Harrison)

Posted: October 28, 2010 10:15 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

1. Vulgar Display of Power (Vinnie Paul)
  Ever since I got into Pantera, my number one thing I wanted to do was explore more music, and that’s how I started drumming away on some interesting metal stuff, but since I started playing metal that’s all i really wanted to do lol I give about 85% of my creds to Pantera and Vinnie Paul.

2.  Ride The Lightning (Lars Ulrich)
    I went straight to exploring Metallica to see why they were “so good”, but with this drumming it’s more about the music than intricate drum fills, i guess this is a basic step to Metal drumming but I’m not a huge Ulrich fan…

3.  40 oz. to Freedom (Bud Gaugh)
    I really had this phase where i got tired of metal for the longest time so I really wanted to find new music, so I thought what the hell, Sublime sounds cool!  I gave it a chance and the drumming is really fun, not the greatest for busting out 6 stroke sweeps, but hey the band is not about drums, and that is why i love music with expression, i learn soloing on my own time…

4.  Over The Under (Jimmy Bower)
    Now since I did alot of exploring, Down was a good band for me, I also did alot of System of a Down stuff but sludge metal was more appealing to me, especially getting more into the groove metal music, especially with single bass structure because I feel that if you know single bass really well and take steps to get real intricate with the right foot, ill add the left foot later.  Listen to Down guys!

5.  As The Palaces Burn (Chris Adler)
    Now since i got good enough to be in a solid band that likes to work, i decided to progress into modern metal/brutal stuff (Lamb of God), something that still has feel and is for the music and not for the perks, I love metal with a passion so i was super excited to start learning real technical drum stuff which will also enhance my drumming to a new level.

Hoped I helped some cats out with the metal progress!!

P.S.  If you are going to play double bass, really really consider getting good with the basics and get technical with one foot before upgrading, then you’ll be able to play almost anything!  PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: November 02, 2010 03:20 AM

guarilio989

its sadly taken me this long to realize this was your “5” most inspiring albums. lol so let me try this again.

1. Sacrament - Lamb of God (Chris Adler)
2. Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree (Gavin Harrison)
3. In Absentia - Porcupine Tree (Gavin Harrison)
4. Saints - Destroy the Runner (IDK the drummers name)
5. The Funeral of God - Zao (Stephen Peck)

Signature 

Posted: November 04, 2010 03:51 AM

wootee

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

I think I would have to go with Gavin Harrisons pal Steve Jansen, the album being Tin Drum by Japan from 1981. If you haven’t heard it give it a listen.
For me, the drumming on this album is a great example of the very experimental music scene that was going on in Britain at that time. Many bands were just getting into electronic gadgets that had never been used in popular music before and started merging them in with traditional instrumentation. The drum patterns and time signatures are very experimental and creative but always fit the song perfectly. Mick Karns wacky bass patterns certainly help with the odd feel of the tracks. If you are a Porcupine Tree fan, a very young Richard Barbieri contributes greatly to this album.

With a mix of Roxy Music influences, tons of hair-spray, confusing asian references and great songs, this album completely changed my opinion of the role of a drummer ina band setting.

Thanks,

T

Signature 

Sonor

Posted: November 04, 2010 04:08 AM

wootee

• Newbie Rank

BTW, I’m not doing 5, just one for now…T

Signature 

Sonor

Posted: November 05, 2010 01:15 PM

guarilio989

Hey wootee, first welcome to the forum! Second, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll definitely give them a look. I’m currently unable to due to my attendance to a conference, but I will certainly expend my time researching the album you mentioned when I return home.

Signature 

Posted: November 09, 2010 01:32 AM

wootee

• Newbie Rank
guarilio989 - 05 November 2010 01:15 PM

Hey wootee, first welcome to the forum! Second, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll definitely give them a look. I’m currently unable to due to my attendance to a conference, but I will certainly expend my time researching the album you mentioned when I return home.

Hey Guarilio989, thanks for the welcome.

I see Gavin Harrison is a popular choice on this thread, he is an amazing player. 

Do check out the Steve Jansen, I will be looking more into Porcupine Tree and the albums you suggest.

Cheers,

T

Signature 

Sonor

Posted: November 22, 2010 03:29 PM

Baloo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Some Favorites already mentioned but I can add these:

BJ Wilson ‘Grand Hotel’ by Procol Harum
Dramatic regal power and beauty from whom I feel was one of rock’s most innovative drummers.

Joe Morello ‘Time Out’ by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
Morello dances on top of Brubeck and Desmond’s varied time signatures. Great syncopated snare and those bass bombs.

Josh Tillman ‘Fleet Foxes’ by Fleet foxes
Contemoprary variation on the late 60’s to early 70’s Beach Boys sound. Tillman orchestrates the percussion with imagination and skill in the tradition of Brian Wilson. Also, excellent at vocal harmonies.

Chico Hamilton ‘Complete Studio Recordings’ by The Chico Hamilton Quartet
Remarkable brush work and time keeping toms.

Ringo Starr ‘Sgt. Pepper’s…’ by The Beatles
Could have chosen ‘Abbey Road’ or ‘Revolver’ etc. as examples of perfect, simple sounding drum parts of deceptive complexity.
Still my favorite snare sound and the tom fills on “Day in the life” to me are timeless.

Posted: November 22, 2010 07:39 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I’m a newcomer on this website, I’m also a somewhat younger drummer (14), but anyway here’s some that I really liked.

Hot Fuss, Sam’s Town, Sawdust - The Killers (Ronnie Vanucci) I always loved his style. Now not all his songs are noteable so I’ll point out a few to listen to. On Top and Believe Me Natalie, (Hot Fuss) Sam’s Town and This River is Wild, (Sam’s Town) Shadowplay, Move Away, and Daddy’s Eyes, (Sawdust)
Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s - (Vinne Coliuta) This isn’t a cd. It’s actually a dvd. This was the first time I’d listened to Jeff Beck and Coliuta together. This with inspired me technically.
Lost In The Sound Of Seperation - Underoath (Aaron Gillespie) This album not only influenced me drumming-wise, but overall musically.
Who The F**k Are The Arctic Monkeys? - Artctic Monkeys (Matthew Helders) I wouldn’t say he’s a very techical drummer. But his drumming is very energetic! I’m worn out by the time I play a few of his songs from this album!
Fight With Tools - Flobots (Not sure of the name.) This album also inspired me musically. One of the key tracks in The Rhythm Method (Move!) was me plays in 7/4.

These were probably my top picks. I fany others come to my mind I’ll post them.

Please give some feedback. smile

Posted: November 22, 2010 07:41 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I’m a newcomer on this website, I’m also a somewhat younger drummer (14), but anyway here’s some that I really liked.

Hot Fuss, Sam’s Town, Sawdust - The Killers (Ronnie Vanucci) I always loved his style. Now not all his songs are noteable so I’ll point out a few to listen to. On Top and Believe Me Natalie, (Hot Fuss) Sam’s Town and This River is Wild, (Sam’s Town) Shadowplay, Move Away, and Daddy’s Eyes, (Sawdust)
Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s - (Vinne Coliuta) This isn’t a cd. It’s actually a dvd. This was the first time I’d listened to Jeff Beck and Coliuta together. This with inspired me technically.
Lost In The Sound Of Seperation - Underoath (Aaron Gillespie) This album not only influenced me drumming-wise, but overall musically.
Who The F**k Are The Arctic Monkeys? - Artctic Monkeys (Matthew Helders) I wouldn’t say he’s a very techical drummer. But his drumming is very energetic! I’m worn out by the time I play a few of his songs from this album!
Fight With Tools - Flobots (Not sure of the name.) This album also inspired me musically. One of the key tracks in The Rhythm Method (Move!) was me plays in 7/4.

These were probably my top picks. I fany others come to my mind I’ll post them.

Please give some feedback. smile

Posted: January 12, 2011 12:01 PM

purpleplanet10

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

Avantasia: The Scarecrow (ERIC SINGER) also any KISS album with Eric!
Sevendust: Seasons (MORGAN ROSE)
Dark New Day: Tewlve Years of Silence (WILL HUNT)
Dream Theater: Awake (MIKE PORTNOY)
Alter Bridge: ABIII (SCOTT PHILLIPS)

Signature 

“what if there is no tomorrow… there wasn’t one today”

Posted: February 04, 2011 09:59 AM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Naked City “Torture Garden”. (Joey Baron; in fact: anything I’ve ever heard him do is extremely inspiring.)
Missing Persons “Color In Your Life” / “Spring Session M”. (Terry Bozzio; nuff said! He’s been great since the 1970s. And keeps getting better & better.)
The Cure “Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me” / “Disintegration” (Boris Williams; basically all the albums he was on. Outrageously underrated drummer!)
Bodyslam “คราม” [Kraam]. (Chad Bodyslam; very commercial, but somehow regularly inspires me to sit down and play along.)

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

1 of 2