October 2010 issue

Posted: September 29, 2010 08:11 PM

zepfan81

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 21

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cover story on Tommy Lee was very cool….........but to me it took a back seat to the Bonham stuff.

Thank you for this. I am huge fan of Led Zeppelin , but as a drummer am an even bigger fan of John Bonham. Excellent article!!!!

I was recently talking to a drummer friend about the article and he was of the opinion that John Bonham has become overated because of every drummer citing him as an influence or as one of their favorites.

My response to this is :

there is a very good reason John Bonham is still 30 ish years after his death an important part of drumming history. From his classic set up to the his mighty right foot that still baffles even some of the pro’s. From the incredible groove to his down and dirty solid rock licks, and the incredibly big sound of his drums, I am very confident that 60 years from now drummers will still be talking about this icon of not only rock but music in general who went to soon.

Bonham has not only shaped my personal drumming style and set up but has offered me challenges of learning from him. Thank you DRUM! for not letting anyone forget this incredible musician!!!!

Posted: October 01, 2010 05:55 AM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

This might start a discussion worthy of it’s own category but I think Bonham is slightly overrated too. Don’t get me wrong, he is definitely a huge influence to drums and myself as well, but I don’t believe it was necessarily his skill that put him on the chart as much as it was the fact that he went against the grain so to speak. When the mighty Zeppelin first came out, everyone was still into jazz and blues at the very best. (not to say I don’t like blues and jazz, but you get my point). That famous dense metal flying behemoth of a band went way out on a limb being as heavy as they were. Like I said before, they had great groove but its not like Jimmy Paige was winning a solo contest against Herman Li (DragonForce) and Bonzo was was out-bashing the great Buddy rich. They had a fresh new style that appealed to everyone because it was bold. This is worthy grounds to be considered an “Influence” in its own right. I personally believe this is NOT grounds to call a band or drummer the greatest band or drummer to ever perform or live. That is a matter of opinion.

In short- I like Led Zeppelin. They are due credit, but I think they are given credit where it isn’t due…if that makes sense to you.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 01, 2010 10:02 AM

zepfan81

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 21

Hi

First, Awesome response.

Few things to consider though:

You can’t compare Bonham to any other drummer precisely because of the fact that every other say classic drummer had his own style. Buddy Rich is as an influence on drumming in his own way, the same way Bonham style is an influence in his own way. Both drummers brought something different to the game.

Gotta be careful not to compare apples to oranges.

Also i never said he was THE BEST. That’s something that is up to debate. I hold firm however at saying he definitly his an drumming icon.

Posted: October 01, 2010 08:11 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

I apologize. I misunderstood what you initially said. I thought you were trying to say that Bonham was the absolute best drummer ever. my bad. and ya i did kinda compare apples to oranges but I have heard a lot of people say that Bonzo would destroy Rich in a drum off and I’m left sitting there thinking…your an idiot. lol and yes I totally agree the great John Bonham is definitely an icon. but like I said it wasn’t his skill but his groove and his fresh new style. either way Zeppelin still rocks. we can definitely agree on that!

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun