Front kick drum head… Hole or no hole?

Posted: September 30, 2010 05:10 PM

Dan Cunningham

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 15

I have always wondered what difference it makes to have a hole in your front drum head or to not have one. I have heard that you get deeper tones from a bass drum with out a hole, as well as better response. I have also heard that the Kickport ads both of those things as well.
I can’t afford to change my heads much, so I don’t get to experiment much with different things.

I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Posted: October 01, 2010 11:46 AM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I have played kicks with both ported and non-ported reso heads. I like them both. I will use a non- ported reso if I am using an internaly mounted mic. If I am using a mic on an external stand, then I will use a ported reso head.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 01, 2010 08:18 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

Good answer Rev. I’ve never heard that much of a difference either. but I use one because I Mike externally. btw how would you get the mike cable to run back out the drum if you miked internally?

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 01, 2010 09:38 PM

Rev.D.

I have done it a few different ways over the years. If I was using a kit (such as Pearl) that has a Kick tom mount with two holes and there were no toms mounted on my kick( I usually used a rack or mounted my toms on stands), I would run it through one of the unused holes. If my kit did have toms mounted, than I would drill a small hole in the top of the bass drum, just large enough to tightly fit an XLR cable end that has a square outer edge that can be screwed into the drum with 4 small screws. I would then solder the 11/2 foot cable(inside the kick) to the mounted XLR end.  Kinda like Pearl and Ddrum are doing now days with their hybrid kits. Sometimes I would just cut the end of of a mic cable, run it through a vent hole in my kick drum, than solder the end back on.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 04, 2010 05:29 AM

guarilio989

I never thought of that. ill have to try that. well…I have to learn to solder first lol I can weld but its not the same.

Signature 

Posted: October 04, 2010 10:06 AM

Rev.D.

Once you get the hang of soldering, you’ll start thinking of ways to customize all of your mic cords and drum mic set ups. It’s a lot of fun.

Signature 

Posted: October 11, 2010 05:17 AM

guarilio989

idk if i’d have the patience for it lol. My dad went to Vo-tech back in the day for electronics and every once in a while he’ll dig everything out and put together some circuit boards and LED’s and make a clock or a motion detector or all kinds of crap and it always consists of a butt ton of soldering and it looks like it takes forever. Ill look into it tho

Signature 

Posted: April 26, 2012 02:02 AM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

I have a hole and kickport in my front kick head and yes you get a deeper tone and response