Most Challenging Technique

Posted: October 05, 2010 08:19 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I’ve always felt that tabla was the most demanding discipline of all hand percussion instruments. I’d would like to hear what you think. What are the most demanding hand drumming techniques to master?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 06, 2010 07:54 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

Probably agree with you on that one Andy. Another two would be the riq or kanjira. I have noodled with tablas but I really like either a riq or kanjira. Routinely I get stuck in traffic for 3-4 minutes at a time, then I move up 30 meters and wait another 3-4 minutes. During the wait, I play my riq; it keeps me groovy rather than stressed over traffic.

GJS

Posted: October 11, 2010 05:28 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

a Djembe is as far as I’ll go. there just so much fun. I was taught by Jim Donovan of Rusted Root and he made it so much fun for me.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 11, 2010 07:33 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
guarilio989 - 11 October 2010 05:28 AM

a Djembe is as far as I’ll go. there just so much fun. I was taught by Jim Donovan of Rusted Root and he made it so much fun for me.

WOW, Jim’s top notch. I am glad you get so much enjoyment out of the djembe. My only lessons were from Mamady Keita. Here is one of his solos at a workshop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpQmOMQmOAw

Watching this guy always brings a smile to my face.

Best

GJS

Posted: October 13, 2010 07:26 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

Wow! thats all i can say is just wow! your right! definitely a joy to watch!

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 13, 2010 08:00 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
guarilio989 - 13 October 2010 07:26 AM

Wow! thats all i can say is just wow! your right! definitely a joy to watch!

Ya I agree with you! I have never drummed so much with my mouth wide open when I was in his workshops. He travels a lot, so you he might be giving a workshop near you. (Or you might consider attending a workshop in some far away country as your educational vacation!) You can find his schedule on his website:

http://www.mamadykeita.com/

Cheers

GJS

p.s. He also has some pretty good learning materials.

Posted: September 02, 2011 08:57 AM

djembefola

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Love Mamady Keita… he’s so chilled and approachable even though he’s practically a legend…. smile

Signature 

Reaching out to other drummers from the djembe community universe.

Posted: September 02, 2011 10:52 PM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
djembefola - 02 September 2011 08:57 AM

Love Mamady Keita… he’s so chilled and approachable even though he’s practically a legend…. smile

Exactly. He is an old soul and a true gentleman. Pretty amazing sense of rhythm.

GJS

Posted: November 01, 2011 08:31 PM

palmero

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

I think mridangam has the most complex hand technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2jjIamYOE

Posted: March 06, 2012 12:05 AM

tasumakan

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

I’d have to say that each instrument has it’s own challenges.  Any hand drum requires precise technique in order to get the best sound.  Even though I haven’t studied them, I’d agree that Indian percussion instruments are among the most highly nuanced.  I’ve always found tama (talking drum) to be really tricky, due to the way you bend your wrist while squeezing the cords to increase the pitch.

Djembe requires a lot of strength and speed in the arms and shoulders, but it also requires a solid groove, which is perhaps why so many people find it to be a natural fit.  I’d say that learning djembe will improve your overall feeling and tempo as a drummer.

No doubt.  He’s one of the great ones, for sure.

Signature 

Paddy Cassidy
Tasumakan - djembe and dunun learning system

Posted: January 14, 2013 02:59 PM

Zaragemca

• Jr. Member RankRank

Greetings, I would say a love, Tabla players and i have performed with several Indians percussionists and a great,  Sitar Player. There is no question of the skills of the tabla players, but,  as it is always said you have to see it all. There is a complex Yoruba patterns, ( 6,8 signature), which is played with three congas. I did it one time, for a show at the,  Rice University Festival and for my students several times.  It have to be observed to graded it.  But the, Tabla, has its own star in the percussion world.  Gerry Zaragemca

Signature 

International Club of Percussionists

Posted: September 16, 2013 04:21 PM

drtom

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4
Andy Doerschuk_1 - 05 October 2010 08:19 PM

I’ve always felt that tabla was the most demanding discipline of all hand percussion instruments. I’d would like to hear what you think. What are the most demanding hand drumming techniques to master?

I cannot possibly disagree.  The vocabulary of these drums is phenomenal, which is why it takes years to just become proficient.

The thing is, when one witnesses an accomplished pandeiro player (for example) one knows in that instant that to play a pandeiro at such a caliber requires unsurpassed talent and dedication.

Having said that, I would say the tabla and the kit (All four limbs?  Are you mad?) are the most technically demanding drums on the planet.

drtom

Signature 

Dr. Tom
The Drum Doctor