How do you learn about new artists?

Posted: October 06, 2010 10:15 PM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

When it comes to discovering music I always seem to be two steps (at least) behind. How do you typically find your next favorite song/band/artist?

Posted: October 11, 2010 05:23 AM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

jango.com free online radio. they play all kinds of stuff and every once in a while you’ll hear a band you’ve never heard of before. I also listen to a radio station that does what they call the “Pick of the Litter” where they take a new single from a new band and highlight it for the day. I usually try to go check the band out to hear the rest of their stuff.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 22, 2010 09:23 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Does it have to be new music?
I find more things that interest me that’s old than anything new. Growing up in the 80’s means there’s a lot of great music that came before me.

I love going to large libraries with big music collections. Since checkout is free, I can afford to grab anything that looks interesting. If it’s good, great, if it’s bad, I’m not out anything but time, which is spent driving anyway.

Most recent discovery- Fats Waller, jazz piano from 1930’s.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 22, 2010 09:39 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Very cool. I think a lot of people forget that libraries usually have a good collection of CDs and DVDs that you can borrow for free. Imagine that — free music without stealing!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 26, 2010 05:05 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

wait…they make free music? and it isn’t stealing? when did this happen?!?

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: January 05, 2011 02:13 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I have found out about bands lots of different ways. Probably my most favorite way is to buy a compilation of songs from a certain record company, (You Can’t Handle The Tooth! Vol. 1, I Am Living! Vol. 2) then look up which ever bands I like most. This is how I discovered Underoath, Showbread, mewithoutYou, and Emery. Underoath and Showbread are now my favorite bands of all times.

Posted: February 28, 2011 03:10 PM

ProgDrumSolutions

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

I generally take a day or two a month, and go digging. I start at Pandora, or Lastfm, and listen, with a note pad in hand. I list any songs, and artists I like, then list the “you might also like” recommendations.
Then I go to fye, or any sight that lets you listen to a few seconds of the songs, and see if I like the overall feel. I also go to youtube, and search, and pay attention to the recommendations. After a few hours of listening, I usually have a list of a few dozen bands. I can narrrow that down alot, but its a good start.
If Im really bored, Ill cross reference the musicians in the bands I like, and search for any side projects they are doing. And I look for them to list the bands they listen to, and go look for them.

Signature 

Progressive Drumming Solutions
Dwayne
Owner, drummer, designer

Posted: May 04, 2011 01:17 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

I’ve been downloading podcasts from Sound Opinions: http://www.soundopinions.org/audio.html
They have some great reviews & have turned me on to a couple new bands I wouldn’t have heard of otherwise.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: January 02, 2012 03:22 AM

a7xDanna

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I used to visit Jango.com for discovering bands I hadn’t heard of before, but now it’s kind of slow. I’ve turned to chronixradio.com now, it’s a metal radio station.