1 of 2
Poll
How many times do you practice each week?
Every day 8
4–6 times a week 9
1–3 times a week 7
Never, I just play onstage with my band 0
Total Votes: 24
You must be a logged-in member to vote

Poll: How Often Do You Practice?

Posted: October 07, 2010 10:48 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Okay. Time to suck it up. Let’s find out how often drummagazine.com members practice.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 08, 2010 09:12 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

for some reason, i’ve been too motivated to get somewhere with music that I can’t pass up a chance but to overwork myself, even if I only get 3 hours of practice, I think a 5-7 hour practice days are satisfying practices…

I feel great every time I do practice though so I feel that I’m addicted, I kinda feel like crap if I don’t get my hella hours of drumming, especially practicing lol

Posted: October 08, 2010 09:24 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

You sound as enthusiastic about practicing every day as I was in my teens and twenties. Keep it up! The muscle memory that you are currently building will remain with you throughout your drumming career.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 11, 2010 05:08 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

if i dont beat on something for at least 15 minutes a day just to do the basic Rudi’s then I go nuts. It drives me up a wall when I dont get a chance to bash a little.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 12, 2010 07:49 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

I’m working too many hours these days, and love to spend any free time I have with my beautiful daughter and wonderful wife. Therefore, I practice only 4-5 times per week; but lately, I have been practicing every night. My wife has a cool contract with the Abu Dhabi Film Festival which requires long days and nights. So after I tuck in my daughter, I put in a hour or two of practicing.

GJS

Posted: October 12, 2010 04:40 PM

Drumfiend

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I have to make up for starting so late on the drums, so I try to put time in doing something drum related every day. Almost every morning before I head out the door at 6:00A.M. I’ll practice at least a half hour.
I play in one of our church worship bands every fri. night, so I’ll have at least 3 new songs to learn each week. So most evenings I’m putting a couple hours in learning those songs, and we have rehearsal on thursday night. I am also taking drum lessons with a fantastic drum teacher (actually, he’s more like a drill Sargent) every monday here at my house. Which leaves me a load more to work on. But I’ll tell ya it is cool. No need to tell any of you that though! Bummer I waited so long to to jump in though.

Posted: October 12, 2010 11:51 PM

rolling_in_rhythm

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

I study with percussionist Anthony Miranda, so my lesson material each week is stacked. Practice starts with a completely thorough review of the rudiments on hands (I’ve started the work of applying rudiments to feet within the last month or so). After that I move on to hand technique, which currently consists of Master Studies by Joe Morello, the long roll exercise (an open stroke roll building at an even rate of acceleration from slow, to top speed, to slow again), a complete review of the rudimental variations and inversions (currently the flam accent #1 and variations), Modern Rudimental Swing Solos by Charlie Wilcoxon and Modern School for Snare Drum by Morris Goldenberg. On drum set I have The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley, Advanced Funk Studies by Rick Latham, Future Sounds by Dave Garibaldi, The Drum Set Soloist by Steve Houghton, The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming by Bobby Rondinelli and Michael Lauren, the paradiddle family of rudiments for the feet, a solo technique and idea developing program currently focused around an ostinato in 5/4 (boom chick chick, boom chick, etc.) and time against time figures (currently working on 7 against 6 against 5 against 3). With all of this, I have somewhere between 10-20 hours worth of material per day to work on (but NO, I DON’T PRACTICE 10-20 HOURS PER DAY! That just isn’t feasible. I put in 5-7 hours on average, with a maximum of 10 on a few occasions), so going without practicing really isn’t an option for me . But my lesson plan isn’t burdensome, hyper-regimented or oppressive. I love what we as drummers do. There’s nothing like it. I am absolutely head over heels in love with drumming, period. I willingly take all of this on to reach the maximum of my potential, from a technical and musical standpoint. And honestly, I couldn’t be happier.

Posted: October 13, 2010 06:24 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171
rolling_in_rhythm - 12 October 2010 11:51 PM

I study with percussionist Anthony Miranda, so my lesson material each week is stacked. Practice starts with a completely thorough review of the rudiments on hands (I’ve started the work of applying rudiments to feet within the last month or so). After that I move on to hand technique, which currently consists of Master Studies by Joe Morello, the long roll exercise (an open stroke roll building at an even rate of acceleration from slow, to top speed, to slow again), a complete review of the rudimental variations and inversions (currently the flam accent #1 and variations), Modern Rudimental Swing Solos by Charlie Wilcoxon and Modern School for Snare Drum by Morris Goldenberg. On drum set I have The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley, Advanced Funk Studies by Rick Latham, Future Sounds by Dave Garibaldi, The Drum Set Soloist by Steve Houghton, The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming by Bobby Rondinelli and Michael Lauren, the paradiddle family of rudiments for the feet, a solo technique and idea developing program currently focused around an ostinato in 5/4 (boom chick chick, boom chick, etc.) and time against time figures (currently working on 7 against 6 against 5 against 3). With all of this, I have somewhere between 10-20 hours worth of material per day to work on (but NO, I DON’T PRACTICE 10-20 HOURS PER DAY! That just isn’t feasible. I put in 5-7 hours on average, with a maximum of 10 on a few occasions), so going without practicing really isn’t an option for me . But my lesson plan isn’t burdensome, hyper-regimented or oppressive. I love what we as drummers do. There’s nothing like it. I am absolutely head over heels in love with drumming, period. I willingly take all of this on to reach the maximum of my potential, from a technical and musical standpoint. And honestly, I couldn’t be happier.

I think I’d die trying to keep up with a regiment of stuff to practice like that lol

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 13, 2010 08:27 PM

rolling_in_rhythm

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Yeah, it’s definitely not for everyone, but that’s perfectly fine. What really matters is, whatever you do, for however long you do it, that you really love and enjoy what you’re doing. I don’t think any of us would’ve even thought of picking up sticks and mallets if we thought it would be boring or anything less than AWESOME. Any amount of time you put in is time well spent and helpful. In fact, if you’re playing aimlessly for hours on end, that can be less productive than 15 minutes of some exercise in an area of basic technique building (the rudiments, etc.) or focused work on an area of weakness (whatever that may be for you). Don’t worry about the time put in. I just hope you get to play to your heart’s content on a regular basis and enjoy every second of it, man.

Posted: October 13, 2010 10:01 PM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

“Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted” - John Lennon

Posted: November 26, 2010 04:34 PM

dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 40
David Pak - 13 October 2010 10:01 PM

“Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted” - John Lennon

now thats a perfect quote. personally i practice on and off, i practice everyday but some days just not as long as others. everyday i start off by warming up with rudiments for at least 15 then i work on my weak hand followed by my rhythm( i usually mesh them) ill work on one foot bass then ill work on moving my feet and rudiments with my feet. then ill jam, now iv heard mult. people say that just jamming doesnt help anything but im sorry if you cant jam you cant play. there is something to be said about stickin in the pocket and feelin the rhythm.  finally i cool down with more rudiments and then i do it all again. on a good day ill do this 3 times on a bad i may only warm up jam and cool down.

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: January 31, 2011 12:47 AM

Invictus138

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

It’s usually about once a week for me. Almost always when my band comes to practice. I’m working on getting a pad set for my bedroom though.

Signature 

Seven Kingdoms

Posted: March 27, 2011 09:55 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I try to practice at least a couple hours every day.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: August 06, 2011 10:47 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Hi everyone! As far as practicing goes, my (former) teacher, Jeremy Hummel had me get into a regiment of 2 hours/day. He reccomended this years ago. I still, 2 this day stick to it (I’m proud to write).  I split it up between 1 hour in the morning, upon waking (practicing w/ my morning HaZelnut coffee has b/come a “morning routine”). The 2nd hour I perpatrate around 7pm or 8pm. In the Township in which my house is located, the Noise Ordinance begins @ 8am & cuts off @ 10pm. I never play past 9:30pm on my acoustic kit. IF I wish to continue, I’ll jump on my Roland V-Drums TD-4KX kit w/ my trusty Vic Firth SIH1 HeadPhones. The Roland/REMO Mesh Heads make the practice virtually silent (the V-Hats, V-Crash(s), & V-Ride are pretty close to silent, as well)! Due to the fact that I’m unfortunately a Human Being, there are days that I’ll skip the 2nd hour, but these are rare. & I cannot remember the last time that a day went by w/out a practice @ all! Thanks!

Posted: August 07, 2011 07:31 AM

feldiefeld

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

My goal is to put in a minimum of ten hours each week of real, solid, working on stuff I need improvement on kind of practice.  Just banging around on your drums is not practice, in my opinion, so I try to be very focused to get the most out of it. 

I am studying with John Riley right now and he is helping me direct my efforts so that I am spending my time working on exactly the right stuff in order to meet my goals.

I usually hit it six times a week, but I’m feeling pretty pysched today (today will be day 7), so I am pretty sure I will go into my studio today and work on my stuff…..

Good question…..worth discussing!
MF

Signature 

Mark Feldman

Posted: August 07, 2011 08:22 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

You bring up an eXcellent point! Just banginging around on the drums is NOT a practice, in my humble opinion, although I’m guilty of doing just that for an hour & calling it a practice session, as well. Practice should be focused & pre-coursed. I had the great honor of having dinner w/ Steve Smith b/f a show of his w/ “Buddy’s Buddies” back in ‘03 & I asked him about his practice regiment. He told me that b/f he starts, he’ll write down the particular topics/eXcersises that he wants to work on & stick to just that.

The fact that you’re studying w/ the GREAT John Riley is a coup in & of itself! Keep visiting & yes, this topic is worth a great deal of discussion…after all, if we don’t practice, we cannot improve in our instrument!

1 of 2