Poll
Do You Have A Drum Tech?
I have a drum tech that carries, sets up, and tunes my kit at the every gig. 2
My band has a roadie who helps me carry my drums. I set up, change heads, and do my own tuning. 1
I hump my own gear. 7
I used to have a drum tech, and miss having the luxury. 2
Total Votes: 12
You must be a logged-in member to vote

Poll: Do You Have A Drum Tech?

Posted: October 13, 2010 07:21 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Here’s today’s question. I’d love to know whether or not our members schlep their own gear.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 14, 2010 12:01 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I had drum tech.‘s for quite a few years in previous bands. My current band has a couple of roadies, but no “official” drum tech. yet. I am anxiously awaiting that day, but until then, my wife is my drum tech.(by default,lol). She faithfully helps me set up and tear down all of my gear at every show. I am truly blessed to have her complete support and help.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 20, 2010 04:50 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

My band doesn’t need a roadie. We have a Bass Player. lol actually my younger brother by default is one of our two roadies. I handle all of the technical adjustments of the drums and such. I think it’s also important to note that If you have at least one roadie it’s considered hauling gear. If the band members do everything for themselves it’s schlepping gear. Good call Andy.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: November 03, 2010 11:17 PM

NickMason

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

I have worked for bands in the past that provided me with a tech, I have also hired guys on my own, but most of the time I’m on my own.
Lucky I have a room mate who is also a drummer and helps me out often.

Signature 

~Nick
nickmason.org

Posted: January 22, 2011 12:45 AM

BAM_BAM

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Lols. I have friends that want to watch my shows for free. So they lug around gear and a few know how to tune. But I have never had a true Drum Tech.

Signature 

In Sanity’s Defense (Joined 2010)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486 or http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486

Demise of Desdemona (Formed 2011)

Posted: March 14, 2011 11:20 AM

Socialdrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

The one problem with Drum Roadies is if they drink during the gigs-they always lose your stuff and it’s always something or a part or screw,e.t.c. from your most prized Vintage kit that you have a hard time replacing….Always!

Signature 

“Aim the aircraft,Aliens are calling,They suck you in & Spit you out,Dump you on the highway,Clinging Clanging Cars & Road Dust,Road Warriors,Road Warriors”

Posted: August 08, 2011 10:56 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

I have not been in a band for about 3 years now, but I was fortunate to have a ‘Drum Tech’ in all of the bands that I was in from 2002 to now (in which I was in 4 different bands as a permanant member since then. & in 2004 I was a “Sub” & I was fortunate that their permanant drummer had a Tech who, in turn, ‘teched’ for me). I naturally had to pay for the service (i.e., if my band made $400 after a performance, each of us earning $100, $50 would go to Adam, my Tech since 2002).

If you can afford & find a Drum Tech, I HIGHLY suggest it! Just make DARN SURE that your Tech knows what the heck he/she is doing. AcQuiring a Drum Tech is the same as hiring an employee ; you need to interview them, get a read on their gear knowledge (if they don’t know what ...say…a remote cable HiHat stand is, you probably won’t want to hire him/her), assess their drumming knowledge in general (if they don’t know who say…MaX Roach is, you probably won’t want to hire him/her. It’s a job, like any other, so treat the hiring process like one, as well.

I’ll tell you this, though…from MY personal eXperience, there’s nothing like being able to chill out after a show, knowing that your Tech knoes Exactly what they’re doing.

GREAT topic, fellow “Drummies”! Definitley worth much further discussion.

Posted: June 27, 2013 12:22 PM

josephmjansen

• Newbie Rank

I’d like to know how does someone become a drum tech?

Posted: June 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 108

Unfortunately there isn’t a school that teaches the skills needed to become a drum tech (at least not that I know of), but the first step is to really get a handle on drum tuning and maintenance — especially emergency onstage repairs. From that point it’s all about networking. I’d suggest getting started by donating your time to a popular local band and use that experience to meet crew members and sound engineers who work with more popular bands. It’s a lot like become a successful drummer — there isn’t a single, tried-and-true way to make it as a drum tech.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: June 27, 2013 03:57 PM

josephmjansen

• Newbie Rank

Maybe I’ll ask my drum instructor, he does a lot of gigging himself… he may let me tech for him just to learn the ropes and get an opportunity to network with techs.

Posted: November 12, 2013 02:34 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Right now, due to my being the primary Caretaker of a dear friend who has Alzheimer’s Disease, I don’t get to play out more than 2 times/month. But I am very greatful that I can even do that, being that the progression of Alzheimer’s Disease is slow @ 1st, but then once Stage 2 kicks in, it speeds up & that’s where we’re @ now. I’ve always been fortunate to have a Drum Tech. I’ve had the same Tech, Adam, since 2002 & he’s amazing. My setups have evolved (as I’m sure that all of ours have) over the years. From a small Ludwig Super Classsic 5-piece, to a Sonor Designer Series 8-piece, to my DW 9-piece, Adam has been able to adapt very, very quickly. He has his own methodology, so once we arrive, he just goes into his ‘auto-piolet’ mode (as he calls it) & sets up. I leave him alone during this time. I don’t come in until all is set up. Then, it’s just a matter of ‘tweaking’ the individual drums to ensure that they’re tuned to their respective notes. He always tells me that the extensive marking(s) on my drum rugs help him tremendously. & that, in turn helps me because once the kit is up, I do NOT have to sit there & move, for example, a boom stand closer/further away. With the exception of the aforementioned ‘tune-tweaking’, EVERYTHING is where I need it to be. Adam got his experience from being the Tech for another drummer prior to me-someone who is taught by the same teacher as myself. He was his Drum Tech for almost 3 years prior to coming to me, so he was already well aware of the duties involved.
  & even now, when I play out the 2 times a month, he’s always there…& very vigilant!

Brian Jezuit