1 of 2

Musicians Friend BS

Posted: July 02, 2010 07:58 AM

Patrickhennessy

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

When i orderd my drum kit from Musicians friend, it just wasent right from the start. When i got my boxes, i only got one box. So i called and they said ,oh ok, we’ll send it out with next day shipping. I thought it was just a simple mistake, so i let it go. Then when i got the 2nd box, i took it all out, and i looked into the bass drum, and it was cracked! Two hge splits in the wood ply’s. I was so pissed. I called them, and they didnt even do anything about it. I asked for a replacement bassdrum, and they told me that they no longer made that kit. So i just mended the cracks myself. But then my friend who also orderd a kit from MF, also got a cracked bass drum. He returned and reorded his kit 3 times, and each time he got a cracked bassdrum.

Lesson of the story: DONT ORDER FROM MUSICIANS FRIEND!

Posted: July 02, 2010 08:02 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Man, it sounds like you had a really bad experience with that transaction. When did you buy the kit? What kind of drum set was it?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 02, 2010 11:43 AM

Patrickhennessy

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

I bought the kit in march. And it was a PDP 805 Red Checkard SE

Posted: July 02, 2010 11:50 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Hey Patrick,

I’ll be glad to contact Musicians Friend to see if we can help iron out this problem. Email as much pertinent info to me at andy@drumlink.com and I’ll see what we can do—no promises of course! Send me as much identifying info as possible: order/invoice number, date of purchase, date of receipt, check number, etc.

Andy

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: July 03, 2010 03:25 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Sorry about the bad experience. I also have had bad experiences with mail orders. Hope it works out for you.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 12, 2010 11:22 AM

Dave Heim

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Yikes!  Sorry to hear this.  Sounds like the ball was dropped all along the way by many people.  Good luck with the resolution.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had screw ups from MF as well.  I tend to not order from them.  Going forward, I’ve been very pleased with the service and responsiveness of the folks at Steve Weiss music.

Posted: July 24, 2010 07:37 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 16

Sounds as though you need to get in touch with someone higher up at MF. Dealing with the “counter” personnel often gets one nowhere. I have had reasonably good experience with MF, albeit I typically am only ordering hardware or cymbals through them; and then only because of some good pricing.

Posted: July 25, 2010 09:50 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

To be honest, I wouldn’t be comfortable buying a drum set or cymbals mail order, unless it’s a highly collective snare drum, or something along those lines. Otherwise, I always want to spend some time tuning and testing before I buy a drum set or cymbal. The instrument is just way too personal for me to pick one off a shelf without hearing it first. But I could see ordering hardware, electronic percussion, microphones, heads, and sticks mail order. Still, I love hanging around a drum shop shooting the breeze, and like the instant gratification of walking out with exactly what I want rather than waiting for UPS to deliver a shipment. Just my two cents.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: July 25, 2010 11:54 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Well said Andy. I couldn’t agree with you more. I love hanging around my local music store’s drum department. I used to pastor at a church close to a GC, and would go by and hang out every Sunday after church for three years. Since my wife and I relocated back to our home church that is 30 minutes away, and out of the way, we only get to visit the store about twice a month. I too love that gratification of trying out instruments and taking them home with me that same day, because choosing an instrument is very personal for me as well. But, I still mail order things like hardware or drum heads that my local drum shop might not have in stock when I need it.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 25, 2010 04:45 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 16

Generally speaking, I do approach mail order with some trepidation. However, if I can shave $50 to $100 off of the price of a cymbal that I already have a pretty good idea as to how it will sound - so be it. (Think Paiste 2002s for example.)

I have had pretty good look with mail order items. Some sour notes (eventually rectified) but overall some very good luck.

I wouldn’t recommend someone buying a drum or cymbal on line unless they absolutely knew what they were ordering.

And yes, I know each instrument has its own characteristics. You might end up with something you really like. grin

Posted: July 25, 2010 05:46 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

Thank you for posting that story, I was actually just getting ready to order my kit from MF. long story short, I checked my email, ended up here, and read this feed. you probably spared me some unneeded angst and frustration. Believe it or not I WAS (emphasis on the past tense) going to order the 805’s too. not anymore. I’ll wait till I find a good kit at guitar center or something. Thanks again!

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: July 25, 2010 08:01 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Hey Adam,

Guess who owns Musicians Friend ...

http://www.answers.com/topic/guitar-center-inc

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: July 26, 2010 03:49 PM

guarilio989

lol My name isn’t Adam. I’m quoting Adam Savage from “Mythbusters”. And yes, I know GC owns MF. but at least I can try the drums first at GC.

Signature 

Posted: August 10, 2010 11:22 AM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46

mythbusters is awesome

Posted: August 10, 2010 12:12 PM

guarilio989

DrumsRock - 10 August 2010 11:22 AM

mythbusters is awesome

that made my day! lol

Signature 

Posted: September 01, 2010 07:01 PM

zepfan81

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 21

WOW!!!! First to those who had problems with MF..my apologies…that sucks. I can say I have heard all sorts of horror stories about buying drumsets in particular from MF.

I bought my Pork Pie seat from them and all went fine but yea I think I will stick to local shops from now on…

1 of 2