2 of 2

Musicians Friend BS

Posted: September 04, 2010 12:45 PM

Drumfiend

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

Hey Folks, I just signed on to this forum for the first time just minutes ago, and I spotted this topic. I’m cracking up to myself right now cause I have never responded to a forum before, but this topic hits home.
A couple years back I wanted to upgrade from the kit I was playing. I shopped around the local shops and I was down to deciding between a Mapex double bass kit and a Tama double bass kit. I wanted to know for-sure I was getting the best price for my purchase and I figured online I would have a wider market to judge. Anyway, I went on the M/F site and found a large selection. I ended up making the purchase of a Ddrum AMX 8 piece kit. That’s when the “Mother Of All” messed up drum purchases started!!!!
M/F told me that the AMX kits would not be in stock for another month as Ddrum had just commissioned the AMX kits exclussively for M/F and Guitar Center to be manufactured in China. I was not detoured since I was stoked about what this kit was offering… Maple and ash shells, lacquer finish, die cast hoops and all for $ 1288.00. Two months later, No kit! Finally after a multitude of phone calls and close to three months I received a shipment. Two boxes, one big and one smaller, I thought OK this can’t be a 8 piece double bass kit? I opened the big box first and I saw the one bass drum, snare, two racks and one floor tom, but the wrong color. I ordered redburst and these were white, the small box held a 10 x 8 rack tom and was the right color, it was beautiful. M/F had UPS ship the wrong color back. Next after some time I called to find out when I would see the other 7 pieces I was short. They told me that they showed I had cancelled the order… W.T.F.? I asked what kind of Happy Crappy stuff are they smoken and why aren’t they sharing? I wanted this kit so I endured this crap.
OK it gets worse, a few weeks more I get a single box, I open it, the wrong color again, it’s blueburst. Beautiful, but not what I wanted, nor not a complete 8 piece kit. I called M/F and said I needed this resolved once and for all so I wanted to speak with someone there that could accomplish this. A manager who said his name was Dutch got on and expressed his full understanding of all the bull spit that I had been thru. But he said it won’t happen again, he would see to it, and keep me updated with phone calls and e-mails. Cool we’re getting somewhere now,right? Naught!!!! But in defense of Dutch (if that really was his name) he did follow thru with both phone calls and e-mails letting me know when there was a shipment and even a e-mail of the actual delivery date. When I received the shipment I opened it to find everything the right color but only a 5 piece kit (plus the one 10 x 8 tom they got right originally) and the 24” x 20” bass drum was smashed to about a 18” x 20”. Dutch said he would overnight the whole kit complete as soon as they could confirm UPS had possession of the damaged kit to be sent back (again). True to his word I received a complete 8 piece kit including another 10 x 8 tom, but two of the bass drum hoops were cracked!!!!! I had always kept my composure through out each episode as I expressed to Dutch that I did have another kit that I played but it was still pretty frustrating since I bought and paid for this kit months ago and still couldn’t play it.
Dutch shipped the new hoops. “But here is where this whole thing gets extraordinarily positive”!!!
I received a full credit back to my bank account, plus $50.00. A few days later I received a letter from the owner of M/F apologizing for all the inconvenience plus a $50.00 gift certificate…
So now to me, M/F walks on water…. And I am completely diggen this kit!!!!!

Posted: September 05, 2010 03:08 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

Holy Crap! I would consider that the horror story of all horror stories! The money back and everything plus the 50 extra is cool and all but I personally would have ripped someones head off after the first goof-up. I kinda have a short fuse lol

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 05, 2010 10:20 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

That is truly MESSED UP!  big surprise Wow. That took a lot of patience on your part, and it all worked out in the end. Cool.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: December 22, 2010 10:43 PM

stylerprofyler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

i’ve had shoddy experiences with musiciansfriend.com as well.

i ordered a snare from them a few weeks ago, on their ‘stupid deal of the day’ thing, took about a week to get here, but when it did, it was left outside, a wooden snare drum, outside, in a British Columbia Winter- for 12 hours! i had two people home that day, and no one even knocked.

thank god the snare turned out alright, but they were absolutely no help when i called to complain. didn’t even have a clue as to how the item was even shipped.

Signature 

Reach me @
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
twitter@STylerML
myspace@STylerML
XBOXLIVE STylerprofyler
PSN STylerprofyler
facebook.com/stylerprofyler
1-604-836-3574
BBM- 322c3e36
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefazeproject
http://www.youtube.com/user/stylerprofyler
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Faze-Project/177886642235601

Posted: January 31, 2011 11:08 PM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

You guys/gals in the US of A are spoilt with choices.

Both my “local” [in Europa and Asia] shops that sell drums have either terrible selection, or are way over-priced.

Had one questionable experience with a Paiste cymbal I ordered from Memphis Drum Shop [they’d packed it up VERY badly], but otherwise ordering hardware, bags & sticks [usually from Lone Star Percussion] has been great.

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

Posted: February 01, 2011 01:46 PM

Rev.D.

Patrice - 31 January 2011 11:08 PM

Both my “local” [in Europa and Asia] shops that sell drums have either terrible selection, or are way over-priced.

Agreed, Most Americans have plenty of choices for a lot of different things, but, I do think it depends on who you are. If you are a beginner to intermediate drummer, you have many choices in drums and drum equipment. If you are a seasoned working drummer who has been playing for decades,  sometimes you need specialty items that are difficult, if not impossible to find. Sometimes the parts you require, no one makes, so you have to custom build drums or gear to suit your playing needs.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: February 01, 2011 08:48 PM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank
Rev.D. - 01 February 2011 01:46 PM
Patrice - 31 January 2011 11:08 PM

Agreed, Most Americans have plenty of choices for a lot of different things, but, I do think it depends on who you are. If you are a beginner to intermediate drummer, you have many choices in drums and drum equipment. If you are a seasoned working drummer who has been playing for decades,  sometimes you need specialty items that are difficult, if not impossible to find. Sometimes the parts you require, no one makes, so you have to custom build drums or gear to suit your playing needs.

Again, in the case you describe, you’ll be much better off in the US of A.

Try finding such specialty items and/or custom parts [or anyone who can build them], in Europe or Asia.

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

Posted: February 01, 2011 09:05 PM

Rev.D.

Point taken.

Signature 

Posted: October 04, 2011 10:10 AM

longgun

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Well..this is my first post.

I use to order almost everything via the internet, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, etc.  What I have found lately is that most local stores will match “internet pricing”.

Makes it alot easier when you can actually try out what your buying.

Posted: October 04, 2011 07:21 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Although it’s a drive & a half, I have always gone to Dale’s Drum Shop in Harrisburg, PA. When I lived in my hometown of Wilkes-Barre, PA it was about a 3 & 1/2 hour drive. Now, living in Allentown, PA it’s about a 1 & 1/2 hour drive. Dale’s is a Five Star Drum Shop & has everything that I’ve ever needed, most of the time in stock! He special ordered both my Sonor Designer Kit & my DW Kit.
I really have had bad personal experiences w/ all of the Internet/Mail order companies (i.e., Musician’s Friend, Explorers Percussion, Interstate Music, etc.). I do go to Guitar Center here in Allen town from time-to-time, mostly to buy any new drum educational/instructional DVDs that come out. I also get ‘staple items’ there (i.e., heads, sticks, small hardware items). They’re resonably priced & courtious to me.
Be well,
Brian Jezuit

Posted: October 05, 2011 11:06 AM

lvlam@mf

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Hello Everyone,

My name is Lauren and I work for Musician’s Friend.  I came across this thread and wanted to reach out.  I’m very sorry to hear about all of the negative experiences each of you have gone through.  Our customer’s are our number one priority and if there’s absolutely anything we can do to help, please email forums@musiciansfriend.com.

Take Care,

Lauren V.

Posted: October 05, 2011 01:00 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107
longgun - 04 October 2011 10:10 AM

I use to order almost everything via the internet, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, etc.  What I have found lately is that most local stores will match “internet pricing”.

Makes it alot easier when you can actually try out what your buying.

I’ll go along with this.  Most stores will match pricing.  I’ve even had them drop the price enough to cover the tax, since out of state internet business doesn’t charge you tax.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: December 19, 2011 07:02 AM

ProgDrumSolutions

• Newbie Rank

We are very spoiled in the USA.

I dont use the local music store any more. Last time I ordered from him, I ordered a complete set of heads, 2-22” bass heads, 2-12"s, 2-13"s, 2-16"s, and a 14” snare. All of them Evans heads, not top of the line, but thats still a bit of money. He told me it would be 2-3 days till he got them in. I said fine, paid and left. 3 days later, I went in to get my heads, and he said it would be another 3 days. Then he told me he found a better deal through another dealer, so the shipping was going to be slower. So, he made more money on the transaction by going to another vendor and making my delivery late, and didnt even offer to give me a slight discount for the wait. Thats all it took. Plus he is super expensive, and carries only a small line of drum equipment. Mostly guitars. 

I havent had any trouble from MF. I order from them once or twice a year. Hope this gets resolved.

Signature 

Progressive Drumming Solutions
Dwayne
Owner, drummer, designer

2 of 2