Waiting For Custom Drums

Posted: October 17, 2010 08:46 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

When we order custom products we expect to wait while the artisan finishes a labor of love. I am currently waiting for some custom bongos to be delivered. I wanted a set of bongos that were top tier so I asked Matt Smith to make me a set of bongos. Many consider Matt’s bongos, congas and timbales to be some of the best being made today. I told him I wanted something unique and that he had complete creative control. 9 months later (Sept 2010), here is the email I received:

I am thrilled at the way your bongo is coming out. I am grateful for the opportunity to create something unique for you. I have been thinking of the idea I had for your bongos for years and it was a real treat for me to do it. I won’t let the cat out of the bag, want to keep it a surprise! Anyway I am sending the hardware out today for chrome plating and it should be back to me within 2-3 weeks and the the drums will be on the way to Abu Dabi. Looking forward to your reaction! Matt.

I am still waiting but I expect he will be shipping soon and just in time for the holidays! I am in no hurray because I know that these will be the only bongos I buy; they will be heirloom quality.

So, how long have you had to wait for your custom drums and percussion? What’s your story? Would you give complete creative control?

GJS

p.s. Here’s Matt’s website: http://www.ritmostudios.com/

Posted: October 19, 2010 01:10 PM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I waited for my custom kit for about 4 to 5 months. It was worth it though. I have had the kit for about 10 or so years and it is still the best sounding kit around, and I get compliments on it’s sound and looks at just about every show that I use it. I chose every detail of it down to the nuts and bolts. Very rewarding.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 19, 2010 01:12 PM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

@Skulmoski - would love to see the final product when you get them!

Posted: October 19, 2010 01:21 PM

Rev.D.

Yeah, pics would be great.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 19, 2010 01:39 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I’ve been playing the same set of Red Sparkle D’Amico custom drums for the past 16 year or so, and even though I’ve bought a few kits since then, I’ve always gravitated back to my trusty D’Amicos. They look great, sound great, and are really small (20” kick, 12” mounted tom, 15” floor, 14” snare) so they have a tiny footprint onstage and fit into my VW Beetle. But yeah, I remember that I had to wait months for them — like six or seven months — longer than I thought was normal. And even then, I still had to wait a couple more months to get the snare. That seemed a bit over the top for me, although I just love them.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 19, 2010 03:51 PM

Rev.D.

Yeah, I have four or so, kits that I acquired over the years. But the only one I use live is my Custom Kit. I love it.

Signature 

Posted: October 20, 2010 04:21 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

i dont have the money for a custom kit but I’m thinking about getting a kit from Truth and letting them go nuts on it and do something completely creative and unorthodox.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 20, 2010 08:58 PM

Rev.D.

Sounds fun.

Signature