Be Your Own Brand: How Do You Market Yourself?

Posted: October 18, 2010 12:36 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Only the cream of the current crop of drummers can afford to sit and wait for the phone to ring. Everybody else has to do at least a little outreach to market him or herself. I always keep a few business cards in my wallet and hand them out whenever I meet a bandleader who could be a potential employer. And I designed the cards to have a little style and attitude — not just black type against a white background — so that they stand out a little. I also mantain a myspace page with my current schedule, a bunch of recordings I’ve played on, a couple videos, and my whole bio, which I regularly refresh as I play with new acts (for example, I just added Shana Morrison after doing my first gig with her last Saturday). So what do you do to market your services?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 03, 2010 11:22 PM

NickMason

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

Ads on LA Weekly’s website, craigslist and Backpage.com (and I’m not talking the “Hi, my name is Nick, I have been playing for blah blah blah… I mean and ad, like a magazine ad, no text just stright to the point!)
LA Weekly and Backpage I post about once a month because they don’t get as much traffic, but craigslist I try to do every single day.

personal website (nickmason.org)
myspace page dedicated to me as a drummer (myspace.com/nickmason)
facebook page dedicated to me as a drummer (facebook.com/nmason)
post on forums such as this one and 2 or 3 others
Biz cards

Signature 

~Nick
nickmason.org