Making Music with Drums

Posted: October 20, 2010 12:57 PM

DrumDrumDrum

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Making Music is giving away a free V-Drum. Enter to win today at http://www.makingmusicmag.com/contests/digital_drums/

When did everyone first start playing the drums? Has anyone ever tried a drum circle?

Posted: October 20, 2010 04:44 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

Firstly, welcome to the community! Secondly, good topic triple D. I started when I learned that hitting a pan with a wooden spoon makes an obnoxiously awesome sound. lol Actually I got my first lesson when I was 6 and the teacher said I was a natural. Just under a year later my dad got laid off and we cut out lessons but I continued to play. I’ve been playing drums at various churches since I started. My pastor at the time said as long as I was getting lessons he’d let me play. Thirdly, no I have not tried a drum circle. I can’t find one in my area although I’d love to partake in that kind of festivity.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 21, 2010 06:12 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Drumming since 4th grade band, 30+ years ago.

I’ve been to a few drum circles, and hope to do more.  Some are good, some are great, and some are bad.  Remember, must people at drum circles are not drummers, or even musicians.  I think the best ones are a mix.  When it’s all drummers, everyone wants to solo.  When it’s no musicians, be glad when they keep a steady beat.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 27, 2010 06:04 AM

DrumDrumDrum

• Newbie Rank

That is great! I participated in my first drum circle about a month ago. I have never played the drums or an instrument at all for that matter. Which is the beauty of playing in a drum circle. I have always wanted to play but never knew how to get started. The drum circle was a perfect mix for me.

Posted: October 27, 2010 10:43 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Sounds like you found a good group.  Keep it up & remember -HAVE FUN.
We don’t work the drums, we play them.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 02, 2010 03:45 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

“We don’t work the drums, we play them.” I like that

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: November 22, 2010 12:44 PM

drummergirl

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I only started playing drums 5 yrs ago, at age 46.  I played guitar for 25 yrs or so but when I first tried drums I realized right away that it was my instrument. 

I regret not figuring that out earlier in life but I am so happy to have the chance to play the drums now.  I wanted to post this in case someone else is thinking that it’s too late in their life to take up drums, or any new instrument.  It’s never too late!!

Drummergirl

Posted: November 26, 2010 04:16 PM

dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 40
bigbeat - 21 October 2010 06:12 AM

Drumming since 4th grade band, 30+ years ago.

I’ve been to a few drum circles, and hope to do more.  Some are good, some are great, and some are bad.  Remember, must people at drum circles are not drummers, or even musicians.  I think the best ones are a mix.  When it’s all drummers, everyone wants to solo.  When it’s no musicians, be glad when they keep a steady beat.

iv had the same experience some can be amazing and when you have 10+ people playing in one rhythm it couldnt be more surreal. yet iv also been in other ones that kinda sound like a dieing animal. so dont get turned away if you didnt get the feeling you were hoping to the first time. iv been mess around on the drums almost my entire life my first set, with paper heads and aluminum cymbals was at like 6-7. i loved it until my friend and i thought it would be a good idea to see how it works and took it apart.

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: December 03, 2010 07:05 AM

DrumDrumDrum

• Newbie Rank

That is great to hear! It is never to early or late to learn how to play the drums or any instrument for that matter. Your stories are truly inspirational and that is what Making Music magazine is all about. Contact me at scolson@makingmusicmag.com if you would like a free copy. I have never played an instrument, with exception of the violin when I was in 5th grade, and that was only because I was allowed. When I got a chance to participate it a drum circle it opened my eyes to how it truly created a community!