Double kick/crash fills

Posted: October 22, 2010 06:28 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Several months ago there were back to back practice pad’s with suggested double kick/crash fills, all 16th notes going between snare & kick/crash. Anyone know which months they were in so I don’t have to look through a large stack of old mags?

I’m working on a new song that I think they would go great in. I can remember a few, some fit & some don’t. I’d love to review what was there more more ideas. They might have been submitted by Matt Byrne.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 22, 2010 10:01 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

The closest thing I could find was Matt Byrne’s lesson in the December 2009 issue, although it doesn’t exactly match your description.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 26, 2010 07:28 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Thanks for checking. It actually was from even longer ago. June 2009 & July 2009 had back to back practice pads for fills. June was straight sixteenth note fills. July mixed in 16th note triplets & 32rd notes. July fills were too many notes for the tempo of the song. I worked on the June ones, than came up with some of my own ideas. I was able to incorporate them into the song right away.

I’m glad I don’t throw away old Drum mags. I just need to keep them organized instead of scattered around the basement, bedroom, car, office….

That could be a new thread, what do you do with old mags?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: September 11, 2011 10:08 AM

drumbri24

• Total Posts: 109

It’s cool to see that other drummers out there collect their back issues od “DRUM!”, as well.
I’ve said this many times b/f, & Andy & Staff were kind enough to publish 2 of my “Feedback” letters in which I stated that “DRUM!”, to me, is a continuing encyclopedia of drumming—not just a monthly magazine. That is why I have all of my issues, from the 1st issue that I bought in 2000 (& quickly subscribed after that) to the most recent. I keep them in ‘clamshell’ boxes w/ the “DRUM!” logo embossed in gold on the binding. Each box can fit @ least 1 year’s worth of issues. They can be ordered & there is usually an ad for them in the last few pages of each issue. When I ordered them, I bought 15 all @ once. It’s an excellent way to catalog your issues. On the binding of each box sleeve there’s a place to write the years & issue #‘s that each contain. This way, I can display them in a presentable manner, as well as (most importantly) access whatever interview, lesson, gear review, drum diagram, song transcription, or any other piece(s) of information that I might need @ the time. & as a teacher it REALLY comes in handy!
My back issues of “DRUM!” & the other drumming publications that I subscribe to are priceless to me & anyone who knows me knows that I consider them to be of my most prized possesions! They’re forever useful, always educational & helpful in my drumming progress, & many are IRREPLACEABLE!!! That makes them all the more precious to me!
Thanks for posting,
Brian JeZuit