guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171
Dreeddrums - 29 August 2010 06:33 PM
guarilio989 - 29 August 2010 10:00 AM
Dreeddrums - 28 August 2010 03:50 PM
guarilio989 - 26 August 2010 05:00 AM

Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan - RIP

he was great its sad to see him go. i dont know if avenged sevenfold will be the same

well if you haven’t yet, check out there newest album Nightmare. Mike Portnoy played on it and surprisingly enough, Mike very accurately personified Jimmy’s style. It’s almost scary how close he sounds to Jimmy. the tone and levels of the drums were a little different than in records past but obviously every kit sounds different. Yes the band will never be the same but the music will always have Jimmy’s spirit in it.

i have’nt actually, but ill have to go get it. i was’nt tryin to say that avenged sevenfold will fade out but merely that he was a great player and way to young to go, 28 thats crazy. also that allot of bands have big problems when ever a band mate dies look at Zepplin, The Who, the Chilli Peppers. but about what you said about Mike Portnoy, i understand trying to keep the same style/ feel if he was finishing up the record for the band. but if it was a brand new album i think i personally would try and play more my own style rather then tyring to portray someone eles’. do you know if jimmy played on any of the songs or was it all mike?

I agree. It’s a shame to see him go. He had such talent. and to the best of my knowledge its all mike on Nightmare. Jimmy passed in December and I believe Nightmare was recorded in early may? I could be wrong. Either way I’d be willing to bet Jimmy helped write some of the stuff on the new album, he just never got a chance to record it.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: June 27, 2011 08:44 AM

zombiehanson

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

Here is my list:
1. Charlie Benante
2. John Tempetsa
3. Dave Lombardo
4. Eric Carr
5. Tommy Lee
6. Gene Hoglan
7. Lars Ulrich (83-89 era only)
8. Chad Smith
9. Nicko McBrain
10. John Bonham

Posted: July 02, 2011 09:59 AM

Baloo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

In order of how much I have enjoyed listening to their playing. I know some of this has to do with the style of music I prefer. I don’t mean to exclude younger drummers as I recognize some evolution of playing capabilities.

BJ Wilson (sure would be nice to see a cutting edge drum magazine compose a feature on him)
Joe Morello
Phil Collins
Chico Hamilton
Bill Bruford
Clyde Stubblefield
Tony Williams
Lenny White
Neil Peart
Ringo Starr

Posted: July 04, 2011 12:23 PM

thedrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Here’s my list of the top ten drummers who have inspired me, guided my style of playing and got me to how good i am now.

1.Dave Ghroll
2.Taylor Hawkins
3.Gene Krupa
4.Jimmy"rev"Sullivan
5.Lars ulrich
6.John Bonham
7.Neil Peart
8.Daniel Adder
9.Chris Adler
10.Mike Portnoy

Posted: July 11, 2011 10:51 PM

nesbite71

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

These are all awesome lists!  It was hard to think of anyone who hasn’t been mentioned at least a couple of times!  The only one of my personal favorites that I haven’t seen was Kris Myers from Umphrey’s McGee, but not many people have probably heard of him.  Also, I don’t think I saw Zoro in anyone’s list.

1. Steve Jordan
2. Kris Myers
3. Carter Beauford
4. Dave Grohl
5. Zoro
6. Dennis Chambers
7. Steve Smith
8. Adrian Young
9. John Bonham
10. Buddy Rich

Signature 

http://www.iwdrums.com

Posted: September 02, 2011 11:08 PM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49
BLACK213 - 25 July 2010 10:58 AM

Neil Peart
Peter Criss (never gets any respect :(
Dave Lombardo
Vinnie Paul
Richard Christy
Shawn Drover
Dave Grohl
Taylor Hawkins
Mike Portnoy
Karen Carpenter
Animal

KAREN CARPENTER!

I was heart broken many years ago when she beat out John Bonham for drummer of the year in the 1975 Playboy readers’ poll. (I only read the magazine for its informative articles about drummers!)

GJS

Posted: September 03, 2011 08:26 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi all & good morning! It’s a wonderful Saturday morning here in Allentown, Pennsylvania ; sunny, breezy, & in the mid-70s-niiice!!!
Wow, a Top 10 Drummers List! I really was thrilled (not an over-statement) to recieve the e-mail that this topic was posted. This is something that I have given quite a bit of thought to in the last 10 of my 20 years playing our wonderful instrument! & to be completley honest, believe it or not, my list hasn’t changed tremendously in the last 10 years! So, I’m extremley happy to share my list of “Brian JeZuit’s Top 10 Drummers”!
1. Neil Peart (he [literaly] is THE sole reason that I picked up a pair of sticks in the 1st place )
2. Mike Portnoy
3. Danny Carey (I can never tire of listening to his CDs [Tool & Pigmy Love Circus] & seeing him live on the “10,000 Days” Tour was an awe-inspiring experience)
4. John Bonham (no more need be written)
5. Terry Bozzio
6. Simon Phillips (my inspiration to learn open-handed playing 7 yrs ago)
7. Stewart Copeland
8. Steve Smith (another drummer whose music I can’t tire of, weather it’s ‘Journey’,‘V.Info.’, or ‘Jazz Legacy’ & his DVDs are the stuff of educational legend)
9. Hal Blaine (my all-time fave studio/session drummer EVER!!! I strongly reccommend-for ALL drummers-his autobiography “Hal Blaine & The Wrecking Crew: The Story Of The World’s Most Recorded Musician-2010 3rd Edition” by: Hal Blaine & Mr. Bonzai, edited by David M. Schwartz—Published by: Rebeats Books & Hal Leonard Music Publications)
10. Steve Gadd ( “Late In The Evening”, “50 Ways…”, “Aja”...need I write more?!)
That’s it! My Top 10 Drummers List!!! BTW, I must add an 11th drummer, for personal reasons…Jeremy Hummel (co-founder & original drummer for ‘Breaking Benjamin’) who is my old teacher & mentor. & w/out whom, I wouldn’t be where I’m @ in my drumming abilities & certainly wouldn’t know what I do about drumming in all of it’s aspects-i.e., playing, gear, & the business aspect(s)!
I really had a great time listing my Top 10 7 we would love to read other Drummies Top 10 lists out there. So please, do not hesitate to post them on our Forum. I think that this is a truly awesome topic & I give a ton of credit to those who started this!
Be wll until next time,
Brian JeZuit

Posted: January 14, 2014 06:30 PM

rryman

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 7

1.) John Humphrey
2.) Sam McCandless
3.) David Silveria
4.) Dave Grohl
5.) Hellhammer
6.) Carl-Michael Eide