Hi all & good morning! It’s a wonderful Saturday morning here in Allentown, Pennsylvania ; sunny, breezy, & in the mid-70s-niiice!!!
Wow, a Top 10 Drummers List! I really was thrilled (not an over-statement) to recieve the e-mail that this topic was posted. This is something that I have given quite a bit of thought to in the last 10 of my 20 years playing our wonderful instrument! & to be completley honest, believe it or not, my list hasn’t changed tremendously in the last 10 years! So, I’m extremley happy to share my list of “Brian JeZuit’s Top 10 Drummers”!
1. Neil Peart (he [literaly] is THE sole reason that I picked up a pair of sticks in the 1st place )
2. Mike Portnoy
3. Danny Carey (I can never tire of listening to his CDs [Tool & Pigmy Love Circus] & seeing him live on the “10,000 Days” Tour was an awe-inspiring experience)
4. John Bonham (no more need be written)
5. Terry Bozzio
6. Simon Phillips (my inspiration to learn open-handed playing 7 yrs ago)
7. Stewart Copeland
8. Steve Smith (another drummer whose music I can’t tire of, weather it’s ‘Journey’,‘V.Info.’, or ‘Jazz Legacy’ & his DVDs are the stuff of educational legend)
9. Hal Blaine (my all-time fave studio/session drummer EVER!!! I strongly reccommend-for ALL drummers-his autobiography “Hal Blaine & The Wrecking Crew: The Story Of The World’s Most Recorded Musician-2010 3rd Edition” by: Hal Blaine & Mr. Bonzai, edited by David M. Schwartz—Published by: Rebeats Books & Hal Leonard Music Publications)
10. Steve Gadd ( “Late In The Evening”, “50 Ways…”, “Aja”...need I write more?!)
That’s it! My Top 10 Drummers List!!! BTW, I must add an 11th drummer, for personal reasons…Jeremy Hummel (co-founder & original drummer for ‘Breaking Benjamin’) who is my old teacher & mentor. & w/out whom, I wouldn’t be where I’m @ in my drumming abilities & certainly wouldn’t know what I do about drumming in all of it’s aspects-i.e., playing, gear, & the business aspect(s)!
I really had a great time listing my Top 10 7 we would love to read other Drummies Top 10 lists out there. So please, do not hesitate to post them on our Forum. I think that this is a truly awesome topic & I give a ton of credit to those who started this!
Be wll until next time,