Poll
What factors most influence your buying decisions when it’s time to purchase a new piece of gear?
Product endorsements 2
My friends’ opinions 1
The advice of drum shop salespeople 1
Print ads 0
Product reviews in print magazines 3
Online product reviews 4
Websites 0
Total Votes: 11
You must be a logged-in member to vote

How Do You Choose Your Gear?

Posted: November 01, 2010 09:52 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Here’s today’s question: What factors most influence your buying decisions when it’s time to purchase a new piece of gear?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 01, 2010 10:03 AM

MK

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

One choice I didn’t see was “Playing/Trying Out The Product In A Drum Shop.”

I will seldom, if ever, buy anything online without playing it first. I definitely would not buy a drum or cymbal without playing the actual piece.

Signature 

My mama had twin babies, on one sweet summer day…
She beat one in the head and I’m the one that got away.

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum/dpa54/ringomov.gif

Posted: November 01, 2010 12:04 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

This would be a good one to allow multiple responses.  I’d check 3 if I could, online reviews, mag reviews, & salesman suggestions.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 02, 2010 03:35 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

well I voted endorsements cuz if a drummer I like uses something it’s gotta be at least decent. That prompts me to go check the item out at a store and test it/inspect it/ yadda yadda yadda.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: November 02, 2010 11:01 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I voted “product reviews”, but I agree that “trying out an item” should have been a poll option.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: November 08, 2010 07:31 AM

Vindrums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 11

I would never buy a large/high priced product without trying it first (i.e. drums or cymbals)  However, I usually refer to online reviews or conversations with my local drum store staff for the smaller stuff.  For example, I read some very favorible things about the Kick Port on this very forum and went out and bought it…by the way, very cool product.

Posted: November 12, 2010 11:27 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

I’m a reseacher by trade and I collect data from lots of sources in order to make an informed decision. The Drum magazine and website are very helpful in my data collection and decision making processes. Thanks Andy.

GJS

Posted: November 12, 2010 11:36 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
guarilio989 - 02 November 2010 03:35 AM

well I voted endorsements cuz if a drummer I like uses something it’s gotta be at least decent. That prompts me to go check the item out at a store and test it/inspect it/ yadda yadda yadda.

I am always skeptical about endorsements. Do they endorse the product or use the product they endorse? Here’s some apples and oranges: Robert De Niro endorsed an hair-enhancing comb. In the photo, it shows a 1970’s babe fawning over his hair. Comb your hair, get the babe. Buy the drum, play like the endorsee.

http://www.calgarysun.com/entertainment/celebrities/2010/11/06/15997421-wenn-story.html

Now, if the endorsee actually plays their endorsed product, then it is a different story.

Take care

GJS

Posted: November 12, 2010 04:43 PM

guarilio989

That’s true but then again they prob wouldn’t endorse a product they wouldn’t use. I still believe that trying a product before buying it is always the best way to get new gear. I jut use endorsements to get ideas as to what might be good.

Signature 

Posted: November 13, 2010 01:47 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
guarilio989 - 12 November 2010 04:43 PM

I still believe that trying a product before buying it is always the best way to get new gear.

I totally agree. However, I live in the Middle East and finding quality percussion, cymbals and drums is problematic.

GJS

Posted: November 15, 2010 09:40 AM

guarilio989

ic. ya that causes a bit of a dilemma.

Signature 

Posted: November 15, 2010 11:33 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

How about price & availability?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 16, 2010 01:41 PM

marko46

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2
MK - 01 November 2010 10:03 AM

One choice I didn’t see was “Playing/Trying Out The Product In A Drum Shop.”

I will seldom, if ever, buy anything online without playing it first. I definitely would not buy a drum or cymbal without playing the actual piece.

BINGO! I was looking for that also. That’s the bottom line. I will get guidance from trusted friends when needed and go from there. that’s how I ended up with my Gennie’s. My Saturn’s, I searched out myself. Took a couple days, but was well worth it.

marko