Changing Your Percussion Rig To Match The Music

Posted: November 08, 2010 09:56 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I think it’s cool how hand drummers will often change their set up to suit the style of music they play (I know drum kit drummers do as well, but not nearly as radically as percussionists). I’d really like to hear how and why you decide to trim or expand your percussion rig.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 12, 2010 11:17 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days Andy and I can’t give a very good answer other than how I feel in the moment. For some songs I like a cajon; then the same song on some other day, the cajon with brushes. I just don’t know why. I guess my procliovities are related to having lots of percussive instruments. I will have to let the neural network researchers figure this one out.

GJS

Posted: November 12, 2010 05:03 PM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I only use live what the songs I play require, and I add or remove gear accordingly. No point in lugging extra gear around if it is not necessary.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: February 14, 2011 01:22 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

Just recently purchased a ‘spring drum’ designed by (sp) Trilok Gurtu… I use it when we do the Doors -‘Riders on the Storm’ and it is amazing how it reproduces an authentic thunder roll without carrying around a synth pad…and you can have control over length of sustain and loudness, etc. I have a collection of other hand drums but mainly use them to explain World Percussion- hardly ever get a chance to use them in my bands….

Posted: October 22, 2011 11:17 AM

Zaragemca

• Member RankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 51

Greetings. Even when the percussion world and gears for use have been expanded, the items to use would be in accordance with the genre / type of music.  I’m playing with a Raggae / Fusion, Afro Cuban, Brazilian, Americana, type of band and you need to have the resources needed for what the music is asking for at the right moment. Gerry Zaragemca

Signature 

International Club of Percussionists

Posted: December 23, 2011 11:28 AM

pauldcjennings

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

Hello,

Great topic!

We live in exciting times as drummers/percussionists. There are so many possibilities out there for building a hybrid kit. I have been doing it for years and love to shape my kit for the music.

I did a show called TAPEIRE in New York a couple of years back with the worlds fastest tap dancer. The show called for me to play not only set but also all maner of percussion conventional and non conventional including pots & pans, spoons and a typewriter. It was most enjoyable building my set for that show. At the heart of it all though was my cajon. I did a lot of call and response duet sections with James (the tap dancer) on cajon. Built around it was a kick, snare, hi hat, conga, and the typewriter.

The pans were in a sack which I had to dump out onto the stage and assemble a pan set while playing a groove. One of the most challenging things I have ever done as the pans would always land differently.

I had a lot of fun building my set for this one and would defiantly encourage experimentation of adding new and interesting sounds to your set.

All the best,

Paul.

Signature 

Paul Jennings
Paul Jennings Music