Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience

Posted: November 08, 2010 10:21 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Jason Bonham is currently touring the U.S. on his Led Zeppelin tribute tour, Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience. Now, if any drummer should be able to pull this off it is Jason — not only is he the son of original Zeppelin drummer John Bonham but he has filled his dad’s empty drum throne on every Zeppelin reunion since his dad’s death (except the Page/Plant No Quarter project). And yet, despite all this, some people might feel that he is capitalizing on his father’s accomplishments. What’s your opinion about the tour?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 08, 2010 11:29 AM

Vindrums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 11

I went to the show last week in New Jersey.  What an AMAZING concert!! I was four years old when John Bonham died and have pretty much written off any chance of ever seeing my absolute favorite band perform.  This was seriously the next best thing!!!

Jason is very smart in his interpretation of his fathers drumming.  He manages to channel the “spirit” of his father without imitating him note for note.  His approach to the Zeppelin catalog is half Bonzo purist and half pure Jason.

The true genus of the Led Zeppelin Experience is the fantastic group of musicians Jason has assembled.  Each musician was SPOT ON!!! I was particularly impressed with the vocalist who sounded EXACTLY like Plant in his prime.

Adding to the impressive musicianship is a really touching (sometimes funny)  assortment of film clips that project behind several of the songs.  I actually teared up a little during “Thank You” as they showed video clips of an adolescent John Bonham playing at the beach with his family and ending with teenage John waving goodbye to the camera as the song reached its conclusion.  Jason also did a note for note duet of Moby Dick with the “Earls Court” video clip of his father.  This duet brought the entire croud to its feet for a rousing standing ovation.

If you are a fan of Zeppelin and this show is coming to your area…GO!!!!  It will not dissappoint!

Posted: November 08, 2010 04:27 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

I think it says a lot about a man’s character to perform a tour devoted to honoring those who came before you. I don’t think Jason is capitalizing on his father’s fame as much as he is drawing on that fame to honor his father. Going to one of the concerts would be awesome but I don’t think its coming to my area. :(

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun