The Perfect Cymbal Combination..?

Posted: November 09, 2010 04:01 PM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

I have a question for all of you professional, experienced drummers…

I am looking to upgrade my set of cymbals with another crash. Currently I have a 16” A Custom Crash and a 20” A Custom ride, and I am looking at getting another cymbal to best complement the others. Since my 16” is pretty bright I was thinking something a bit darker, but just as easy to manipulate. So far I was thinking an 18”-20” A Custom.

Does any one else have any ideas?

Posted: November 09, 2010 06:18 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I think A Customs are great cymbals that offer a nice, creamy tone while cutting nicely. However, if you’re really looking for a cymbal that will be well differentiated from your existing ride and crash, why not look at other models in the Zildjian catalog, or even an entirely different brand? Nonetheless, I don’t blame you if you have your heart set on an A Custom, and since you already have a 16” and a 20” it makes sense to check out some 18” models, or even a 17”. You should also keep in mind that A Custom crashes are available in a number of weights, which can have a notable impact on the sound. My best advice is to take your existing ride and crash into a local drum shop and test as many 18” crashes side-by-side with your existing setup. Then you won’t have to guess about how your new crash will fit into your cymbal selection. Good luck, and let me know what you wind up buying!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 09, 2010 10:25 PM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank

thanks for the advice andy!
If you were in my situation what other brands would you look at that would complement my setup? I am definitely open to something other than zildjian; in fact i kinda like the idea.

Posted: November 09, 2010 10:41 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Hi Steve,

I’m glad to help! Rather than talk cymbal brands, let’s talk cymbal types. Your two A Customs are cast cymbals made from bronze blanks. I like cast cymbals for rides and hi-hats, because they tend to have a lower voice and more complex overtones. But even though I currently use a cast crash, I have often liked to use a sheet bronze cymbal (cut from large sheets of bronze rather than individually cast). I have found that sheet bronze cymbals have a higher, more cutting sound and a more focused frequency range. Again, it is probably a good idea to go to your nearest drum shop and ask the salesperson to show you some cast and sheet bronze cymbals so that you can experience the difference firsthand.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 12, 2010 04:46 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

My that’s technical. Lol it’s always easier i think to just try out cymbals and see what works.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: November 13, 2010 10:14 AM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank

The problem is that my town doesn’t have a whole lot of options, so i have to drive a bit to get to anything worth looking at. But I am going to do my best to get to fargo, nd soon eh. lol just kidding…we don’t talk like that… for the most part. wink

Posted: November 13, 2010 10:29 AM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank

I am looking for something that may be rare to see on your average kit; whether it be vintage or just some other unusual cymbal. I am looking for a cymbal that i can cherish because its unique.  Also it can’t cost me a fortune. lol

Posted: November 15, 2010 07:37 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

You might try Sabian HHX. They’re marketed as dark, and you said you might like that. They pack a lot of power, so they should keep up with the A Customs. I have a couple HHX Evolutions (Dave Weckl’s line). Power, shimmer, dark, I absolutely love them.

Unfortunately they don’t fit the last category your looking for. They are a full priced cymbal. If you’re looking for less expensive, try the sheet cymbals like Andy said.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 16, 2010 02:01 PM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank

ok thanks! ill check em out. Recently Ive been looking at Meinl Byzance. I like the retro, used look and so far the sound has been great. any thoughts?

Posted: November 29, 2010 12:23 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

I have some Meinl congas but not much expierience with their cymbal lineup.  They are a well established company in the music business & have pleanty of big name endorsers.  I’m sure they have top quality & stand behind their gear.

If YOU like it, go for it!

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: April 26, 2012 01:18 AM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

I`m actually swapping out my ZBTs for Sabian AAXs and looking for a ride that would go with the AAXs.I`m about to get a B8 Sabian ride or what others should I get