Community bands & orchestras

Posted: November 15, 2010 02:39 PM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I recently joined a community orchestra.  After a couple frustrating rock & roll experiences, I felt my musical interests lead me in a different way.  I’m still banging behind the kit, but after the first Orchestra concert, I really like doing something different. 

I found a very good group with a new conductor that is striving to make the orchestra better.  (Not an average guitar player striving for the same old thing.)  Rehearsals are structured, and planned in advance so I know if & when I need to be there, and we start on time.  (Not showing up on time, waiting for ½ the band, bouncing around from one thin to another.) 

Sure they call me a “percussionist” instead of a drummer, but I’m no longer alone-there’s 4-6 six of us, depending on the song.  I get to play timpani again, and mallets.  Sure it took a while to get used to reading music instead of charts, but that’s part of the fun.  There’s 60+ musicians coming together to make some pretty challenging music, plus we had a world renowned violinists joined us for an unbelievable solo.

So I was wondering, any one else doing the community band/orchestra thing out there?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: July 21, 2011 06:51 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I do not because I don’t have the time, but I hope you continue to enjoy and take advantage of your opportunities to do so.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 22, 2011 01:56 AM

dgheorghe

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I don’t because I don’t have this talent…singing,but I like all kind of music..so..I wish you good luck!

Signature 

funny quotes

art posters

Posted: July 22, 2011 08:04 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I can act, but I can’t sing, so that leaves me out when it comes to musical theater. My friend is always drumming for band/orchestra and musical theater shows and is always trying to get me to get involved.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.