EVANS EC2-SST vs Onyx

Posted: November 16, 2010 12:16 PM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I’m looking to try some new drum heads. Does anyone have experience with either of these Evans heads- EC2-SST & Onyx-2?
Both are two ply & according to Evans website have a similar sound & same price. Is there anything special about the Onyx, or is the black head just a gimmick?

I’d rather take the advise from you guys that the store salesman who might be trying to move whichever head he’s over stocked on.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 16, 2010 12:20 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I haven’t personally tried them, but will nose around and see if I can drum up some other opinions.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 16, 2010 01:37 PM

marko46

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

I tried the Onyx and didn’t care for them. I almost tried the SST’s, but just ordered coated G!‘s. I like the “open” tone of a single ply’ I can control overtones with gaffers tape or some moon gel. JMO man.

Posted: November 16, 2010 05:21 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Here’s how my friend, Paul Batres (manager of San Jose Pro Drum) compares the two heads (and rest assured, he’s not trying to influence your buying decisions):

The SSTs have a more defined attack and a short sustain.

The Onyx has a darker tone, short sustain, but not as defined of an attack. And because of the black coating it adds to the darker tone and adds extended durability to the head.

I have personally used both, and found the SST best fits my playing style. Whether you choose the Onyx 2-ply or the EC2 SST for your batter head, I would recommend using either the Genera Resonant, or the G-1 Clear for the bottoms.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: November 21, 2010 10:31 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

I just heard back from Mike Robinson, the senior product manger for percussion at D’Addario, Evans’ parent company. Here’s what he had to say:

“The EC2 is going to have a full sound, but with controlled overtones and an enhanced attack.  The Onyx has more punch and is an overall darker and shorter sound. The Onyx is also made using two 7.5mil plies of black polyester film. The extra 1mil thickness make them the most durable tom head we offer. In general, every film type has it’s own unique performance characteristics … so none of these designs are gimmicks. All have a specific function and place within the Evans line.”

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: November 22, 2010 08:10 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Thanks Andy for going above & beyond to get me an answer. (I hope you didn’t suggest to Evans some might think the Onyx head could be a gimmick).

I think I’ll try the EC2-SST. I’ve been kind of feed up with a different brand’s tom heads, and really like some of the Evans snare heads.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 22, 2010 12:48 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

I have used Evans for years and years and the SST is a great head. I did have one 13” lose some of the ink dampening stripe but probably cause I used it too long… I liked the old EC2 with the metal dampening strip better that they discontinued in favor of the ink stripe… I have emailed them why but my inquiry may have gotten lost.