Which Rudiments Do You Use?

Posted: November 30, 2010 01:47 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I bet most of us use a larger array of rudiments than we realize. Of course, I play singles, doubles, paradiddles, and flams, but I also throw in 5–9-stroke rolls, any number of paradiddle versions, flam tap, flam accents ... the list goes on. So what are your favorite rudiments, and how do you apply them to the kit?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: November 30, 2010 09:07 PM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46

I use a lot of singles-everywhere, some, but sloppy doubles-all around the kit, a ton of single stroke fours-mostly on the snare, some single stroke sevens, some 5 and 7 stroke rolls-all around the kit, some paradiddles, a ton of flams-everywhere, flam taps-mostly on the snare, flam accents-in between the snare and kick usually, and occasional flam paradiddles.  Favorites in order—Singles, Single stroke fours, Flams, Flam Accents, 5 stroke rolls, paradiddles, doubles, single stroke sevens, flam taps, and 7 stroke rolls.

Posted: December 01, 2010 09:11 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Is it still a flam tap if the flam is on the snare (or toms) & the tap is on the kick?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: December 01, 2010 11:09 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Well, not technically, but there is nothing wrong with adapting rudiments to the drum set however you choose. That’s why they exist — to provide rhythmic suggestions that you can incorporate in creative ways. Check out how our columnist, Terence Higgins of Dirty Dozen Brass Band, applies the diddle egg five hybrid rudiment around his drum kit in this video: http://tinyurl.com/3yes22y

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: December 01, 2010 11:28 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

How about ruffs where the two grace notes are played on the kicks with the main note on the snare, or snare & crash? That’s one I’ve been playing a little too much lately. Can we count three kicks & a snare/crash as a four stroke roll?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: December 01, 2010 11:41 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

You’re getting crazy on me now!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk