Playing Cross Stick

Posted: July 02, 2010 05:14 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

For the longest time — and I mean decades — I was convinced that I could get a perfectly good cross stick sound off of my snare drum hoop without having to turn the stick around, and play with the butt end. I kind of believed that drummers who played that way were simply using an unnecessary move. Then for some reason, a couple weeks ago, a bandleader called a slow, quiet number and I just turned the stick around for the hell of it. And the sound was so much thicker and woodier than what I had been getting. Well, needless to say, I’ve been turning the stick around for cross sticks from then on. Duh!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 03, 2010 03:06 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Yeah. The stick has more weight on the butt end so you get a more pronounced, solid sound. A die cast batter side hoop helps as well. Or you can use a blue LP jam block. I do prefer actual side sticking to the jam block myself though. You can always alternate stick sides according to the amount of volume and clarity needed for the song.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 12, 2010 11:30 AM

Dave Heim

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Hey, quit looking at my butt!

So anyway - yeah, I’ve always used the butt end for cross stick.  It just seemed to sound and feel better. 

I can get a pretty decent sound from just about any stick except the Zildjian Anti-Vibe models.  I’ve tried several flavors and I think the anti-vibe treatment inside the butt end just knocks out that nice resonant sound you get from other regular solid wood sticks.

Posted: July 19, 2010 06:22 PM

Brandon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

I’ve been along the same line of thought as you Andy, but not too long ago I was using a smaller stick and couldn’t get any tone quality out of a cross stick unless I flipped it around.  Now I’m on the boat of the butt end cross stick too!

Posted: July 19, 2010 06:27 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Glad to hear I’m not alone!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 27, 2010 02:09 PM

Ledfoot

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

The butt end of the stick does give a nice, fat, discreet click.  I went a step further and added a Yamaha Russ Miller Groove Wedge on my brass snare and love the “woody” cross stick sound that I get.

Posted: July 27, 2010 02:34 PM

Rev.D.

I play contemporary hard rock/metal and have been thinking about purchasing a groove wedge (even though my batter rim is die cast) for a more distinct, pronounced side stick sound.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 28, 2010 11:44 AM

Drumolator

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 21

I have become much better at playing cross stick since I started playing at church.  At least one-third of the songs require it.  Butt end on drum does work the best.  Peace and goodwill.

Signature 

Mark Wellman ><>

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Posted: July 28, 2010 12:52 PM

Rev.D.

Cool. I was also a praise and worship drummer for about 8 years. and cross- sticking was required for most songs.

Signature 

Posted: August 04, 2010 08:31 AM

tomtom

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

the only reason i learned about the butt end cross stick is that i was watching methods and mechanics by todd sucherman and i happened to watch his cross stick “quick tip”. before that i dont think i even used the cross stick at all

Posted: August 06, 2010 04:07 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

since we’re on the church subject, I too play for church. I have since I was six. but to be perfectly frank in my 12 years playing, I never liked the cross sticking thing. Its just too annoying to me. i prefer a straight matched grip without any fancy twirling. Don’t get me wrong it looks cool but i personally have never found a use for it.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 01, 2010 06:57 PM

Warren Wright

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 31

Yeah,  me too.  I started using the Butt end of the stick right after I started playing drums just because of the heavier thicker sound, which was 46 years ago.  But, dont you get tired of jamming your fingers and thumb into the drum head to do it?  If so, read my post down in the “Gear” section under “Accessory I cant live without”.  Ive got a solution for ya.

Signature 

I am a Drummer…its not only what I do…its also an integral part of who I am