Zaragemca’s Top Experience

Posted: March 08, 2013 12:11 PM

Zaragemca

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 47

I have been performing with an Ethiopian Bands which came to Houston for an especial engagement, I have to recognize this unique experience in relation to this music and these musicians. The Music was a unique blending of the multi-color skillfull vocalization which is known in the Indian Music and the brain braking syncopated musical phrases on, a 6/8 time signature. The dynamics between the blending Bass-Guitar-Keyboard and the singer was something never witnessed by me in any, Salsa, Rock, or, Jazz Band, they have a short syncopated musical phrase in a constant response to the lyrics from the singer and interposing others time signature within the, 6/8 main pattern. The people did stay ‘till 4.00 am., dancing to the music, both the dancers and the musicians absolutelly enjoyed the interaction which I have with this Ethiopian Band, and to me it was a top experience. They told me that after the show they have to fly to, East Africa, for another engagement.  But later I had more opportunities to play with other singers, like; New Debebe, Ealsa Tesfaye, Kuri Bachew, Elias Tebadal, Shambel Blaynrh, Tsehay Kassa, Setegu Atanaw, Teshager Yilma, Aster Aweke. Folks my respect to this Ethiopian singers and musicians, one of my greatest experiences. Gerry Zaragemca, is a World’s Expert in Afro Cuban Percussion and Caribbean Music

Signature 

International Club of Percussionists

Posted: March 15, 2013 09:46 PM

Zaragemca

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 47

Greettings. Well this is how everything started.  Since i was in Cuba, in the 1970’s a lot of Africans went there to study, ( among them, Ethiopians). Then, there was an, Ethiopian Restaurant in Houston, Addissabba, and I went over there to eat. The owner find out that I was from, Cuba but also that I play African Music; Fela Kuty, Ossibisa, Olatunde, Mirian Makeba, etc. He told me that there was a drummer from, Canada, which play, Ethiopian Music and I was showed the videos, then asked me if i would like to play it, I said of course. The singer for the first gig, was, Neway Debebe, who was the singer for the famouse, ‘Roha Band’, in Ethiopia, I listen to the C D’s, but there was not rehearsal, I just write down the structure and brakes. The funny part in all the presentations is when the singer are presenting the musicians, and have to say that i’m from, Cuba, (because before that everybody think that I’m , Ethiopian). But at one point, (since it was the same Restaurant), more people would recognize me and would call me to their table to find out how I got into playing their music. Gerry zaragemca

Signature 

International Club of Percussionists