HELP - Throne / Seat / Stool advice - Xmas Present for Father

Posted: December 13, 2010 02:36 PM

taffyb

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Hey all,

First of all apologies as i know very little to bugger all about drums etc - however i’m looking to buy my father a new “throne” for xmas.

My dad has kitted himself out with plenty of kit but has the crappest seat ever & as its only been in the past year or so picked up his sticks again after a good 20yrs & is now practicing regularly + reformed the old band - given he’s in his, well, half century plus years grin  Thought best get him something comfy to sit on.

I’ve done some research so far, but finding a bit tough to get reviews & top 10’s etc for drum stools/seats (or thrones as i’m learning they are called).

So far i’ve come across “roc’n'soc & “Pork Pie” but are out of my price range.

I’ve also come across - Tama first chair HT530 - this is more in my price range & seems to get good reviews, also there seems to be a back rest which he could buy later on for extra comfort.

Apart from that the only other one thats caught my eye is the Gibralter 9608VA - as he continually looks for places to keep his drinks, spare sticks etc - so this could be ideal, but a bit worried its more a gimic than a comfy & sturdy place to sit.

Any advice is much appreciated - or pointers in the right directions as to where i can find out more wink

Thanks Brent

Posted: December 13, 2010 02:43 PM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

Brent - welcome to DRUM! and all questions are good questions. I suspect you’ll have a few suggestions posted soon but I’ll keep my eye on this post to be sure.

Posted: December 16, 2010 07:01 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I’ve used Gibraltar thrones & liked them a lot (as well as other Gibraltar hardware). I’ve used the 9608OS & 9608HM.
The 9608OS has the same base as the 9608VA. Very sturdy, no problems. The seats for the two I mentioned are very comfortable, yet easy for working the pedals. The VA has a different seat that I have not tried. I personally like the HM because it’s hydraulic, but in reality, if only one person ever sits there, you really never need to change the height. Gibraltar also has a back rest that can be added on later.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: December 16, 2010 04:59 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

If you’re looking for a really comfy throne, I would suggest checking out either Roc N Soc or Pork Pie. Both have oversize cushions that feel great on the ol’ derriere. Personally, though, I use an extremely portable Yamaha throne (sorry, but I don’t know the model number), which is very lightweight and fits easily into my hardware bag.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: December 16, 2010 08:59 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

ROC N’ SOC All the way!!! you can’t go wrong!

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: December 17, 2010 06:50 AM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

I have recently started using the Tama Ergo Rider 3 leg- doesn’t have the bicycle protrusion on front as much so seems to let me have the larger seat yet not interfere with movement and supports me better than the Roc-n-Soc (which by the way ARE excellent thrones!)