Best Drum Clinic Of 2010

Posted: December 13, 2010 03:02 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

What was the best drum clinic you saw in 2010? My favorite was Stanton Moore at the 2010 PASIC in Indianapolis. Dude personifies funk.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: December 15, 2010 08:30 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26

Hey Andy.

This is a great topic.  I’m thinking that drum clinics are somewhat underrated by drum fans, but I love them.  The fact that you can see your favorite drummer (or just a good pro drummer), for a nominal fee, and even free, is just hard to beat.  The closeness and availability of the drummer makes it a great show for drum fans, and music fans in general.

I’ve been to four drum clinics, three in 2010.  I saw Marco Minnemann, Walfredo Reyes, Jr., and Thomas Pridgen.  They were all fantastic, and I’m hard pressed to pick a best (or favorite).  But I’d have to give the win by a nose to Marco Minnemann.

I wrote articles extensively covering all the clinics at TheParadiddler.com.  If the readers are interested, they can head on over there, and in the ‘Articles’ tab there is a section called ‘Drum Clinics’.  The Thomas Pridgen clinic coverage has the most pictures, Walfredo showed to be a master multi-percussionist, and Marco, well, he was a loud, well-oiled machine.  I was blown away.

I would love to have Steve Smith and Thomas Lang come to the Atlanta area in 2011 - those are my dream clinics to attend.  One can hope!

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: December 16, 2010 07:04 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

I’ve seen Stanton Moore before. Great clinic, but you asked for best in 2010. For that I’d say Terry Bozzio. You can find my review of that clinic somewhere on this forum.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: January 04, 2011 06:05 PM

Andrew Lentz

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

For me it was a Todd Sucherman–Jimmy DeGrasso battle clinic. Although I’m a fan of both of those guys’ bands (Styx and Alice Cooper, respectively), neither does justice to either drummer’s imaginative, precision and incredibly energetic playing.

Posted: January 04, 2011 06:39 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

The only drum clinic I’ve ever been to was the Terry Bozzio clinic. I completely loved it! Even my dad was amazed, and he had no idea what the guy was talking about! Oh, and yes my dad drove me there, I’m 14. But anyway, i had a great time. Bozzio is ridiculously talented.

Posted: January 05, 2011 11:06 AM

Andrew Lentz

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I’ve seen Bozzio too but it was like 2 years ago—nothing like what I expected—he was on some kind of experimental tip and doing it on a fairly small (for him) kit. Did he rock the ginormous 40-plus-piece 6-bass-drum monster when you saw him?

Posted: January 05, 2011 01:27 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

Not exactly. He was on a kit that the music store had put together for him. It was definitely big, but no where near as big as his main kit.

Posted: January 05, 2011 02:53 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

The local music shops are responsible for getting him the kits to play.  When I saw him, he said the shop did a great job replicating his old kit, which was huge.  He admitted most shops were not as able to put together something he liked, but made music on whatever he had.

Signature 

loud is my forte