Weight Training

Posted: December 22, 2010 10:13 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Some drummers think weight lifting inhibits their flexibility, while other believe it strengthens their technique. I started a weight training regimen a few years ago and found that I had more energy and stamina because of it.

Which philosophy do you subscribe to?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: December 24, 2010 04:52 AM

carlo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

I used to go to the gym years ago, but found it not helpful for strenght, speed and technique, it was as if after a few months i lost my feeling. Therefore i stopped but took up running instead, that helped for my stamina. Weight lifting builds other muscles and in a different way then with running. For me, what really worked, was just play more and not just with the band but also the rudiments.

Posted: January 22, 2011 12:52 AM

BAM_BAM

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I love to weight train! I am a small guy trying to get bigger. But I think that it has helped my drumming too. I have noticed a great increase in my ability to attack the drums. I can play harder, louder, longer, and maintain a tempo better. I actually use tempo in my training. Keep a pace going or slow down on the decent and speed up the ascent! Pretty much weight lifting and my drumming go hand in hand. I weight train to strength, while the drumming helps with my cardio.

Signature 

In Sanity’s Defense (Joined 2010)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486 or http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486

Demise of Desdemona (Formed 2011)

Posted: February 10, 2011 04:41 PM

dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 40

Iv heard all of these thing myself from a number of people. Personally I like to heavy weight train a couple times a week ( if I can get to it) and practice as often as I can Preferably every day. But to be honest my buddy took me rock climbing a couple years back and I found it to be the best workout for when I play the drums so if you’ve got a little extra time and your drummed out for the day go try climbin somethin

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: February 14, 2011 06:05 AM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

Both schools of thought have valid points. The difference lies in the specific exercises and what you do to warm up. Building muscle mass can strengthen you but it can slow you down if you don’t engage in some flexibility training. The only thing that strengthens your technique is practicing every day and trying new things. In short, working out is a double edged sword. Use it properly or it WILL hurt you and your technique. Work hard and weight lifting will help. Another helpful tip, if you just want to increase stamina or tone your muscles, use a small amount of weight but do a lot of repetitions. Visa Versa for building mass. simplified:

More strength: more weight, less reps
More stamina: less weight, more reps

But always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, stretch and warm up!
You can build more muscle mass than the hulk and tone it all beyond Ahhnuld’s physique but you won’t be able to bend over and touch your knees if you don’t stretch out before hand.
learn your limitations and don’t over-do it. Remember the double-edged sword thing.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun