Christmas Gifts

Posted: December 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Somebody had to ask: Did you get any cool drums, cymbals, or other percussive doodads for Christmas?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: December 28, 2010 08:43 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Rhythm Tech Stickball shaker & stick jingler.  They are kind of gimmicky, but fun to play.  Actually used the shaker Sunday morning & the rest of the team enjoyed the extra percussion sound.

Quick review:  It’s heavy on the stick, affects the tone & volume on the snare & toms, and it’s tough to get even sixteenth notes when playing eights on the hi hat.  But like I said it did cut through the mix with mics close to the snare & hi hats, and sounds funky with the swing feel, since straight 16ths are tough.  For $10-15 bucks, it’s a fun toy.  Glad I got it.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: December 29, 2010 09:41 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

check out Drum issue 175, January 2011, page 60 for review of Stickball & Jingler.
Travis Barker on the cover.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: January 06, 2011 10:35 AM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I finally got some new cymbals! An AAX 21” stage ride, and HH 14” Hi hats. They sound great!

Posted: January 06, 2011 10:44 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Check this out — I gave my 20 year old nephew a 22” Meinl Byzance Medium ride for Christmas (he asked specifically for that cymbal). It wasn’t exactly inexpensive, but I’ve been encouraging him to pursue his drumming career for a long time. Anyway, about a week later I got a call from my brother who sheepishly asked if I had a receipt for the cymbal because they wanted to return it. Evidently, my nephew (who plays in several very loud punk bands) had already cracked it! I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 12, 2011 10:19 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Wow! That is horrible Andy! I hope it worked out for both you and your nephew( the whole returning thing). I don’t know how I would have reacted if I was in your situation. There probably would have been a lot of crying, and then laughing about it years later in retrospect.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: January 14, 2011 06:56 AM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

wow…. I haven’t cracked a cymbal since high school… that’s around 36 years ago… Like posted elsewhere I purchased the Ludwig amber Vistalites/ Bonham style for my Christmas ‘gift’ and have been playing them at gigs- micing bass w/homemade subkick/front and a standard mic by beater- sounds GREAT! Best bass amplification I have ever had!!!

Posted: January 14, 2011 09:25 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I haven’t cracked a cymbal in about 20 years. I have added to my cymbal collection, but I have not had to replace any.
Btw, it is always nice to be able to buy yourself Christmas presents.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: April 26, 2012 01:56 AM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30
Andy Doerschuk_1 - 06 January 2011 10:44 AM

Check this out — I gave my 20 year old nephew a 22” Meinl Byzance Medium ride for Christmas (he asked specifically for that cymbal). It wasn’t exactly inexpensive, but I’ve been encouraging him to pursue his drumming career for a long time. Anyway, about a week later I got a call from my brother who sheepishly asked if I had a receipt for the cymbal because they wanted to return it. Evidently, my nephew (who plays in several very loud punk bands) had already cracked it! I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry.

you are a very generous uncle andy.bet he was stocked till he cracked it OUCH