what style of drums do you play?

Posted: May 06, 2013 03:57 AM

SBDEE

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 15

Hi, SBDEE here,
just wondering what style of drums people play on here… I am mainly rock and metal but with my tutor I am learning a lot of jazz and stuff, I also discovered ska, which is a style I had never heard of before, I was asked to play in a school production, it turned out pretty well.
I have just been watching Jeff Pocaro , my tutor gives me a name to look up every week to inspire me!
hope to get some replies!!
SBDEE

Signature 

12 year old drummer girl.

Posted: May 06, 2013 05:56 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Hi SBDEE,

It sounds like your teacher has put your onto a good path.

I play with a few different bands — a couple are blues bands, one is classic rock, and the third is old-school metal.

Good luck with your drumming!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: May 23, 2013 12:42 PM

JDragon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 23

JDragon here- I am in 2 bands playing classic rock and blues. I played a bit of jazz and progressive rock in the past and even helped out a (!) country band for a few years…. my sets change with whatever I play! I have a little Yamaha set for the jazzy stuff, an amber Vistalite for the rock and when things get full on I have a WMP Ludwig set w/8 toms…..

Posted: June 08, 2013 10:50 AM

Baloo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Hello,
Great to hear you are receiving such a wide variety of influences at an early age.  I was much older than you when I started and had been mainly a fan of classic rock with just some interest in jazz.  However, after I had been playing for a few years I found myself attempting to imitate some of the drummers from my father’s old jazz records I grew up with.  I didn’t decide to do this, it just started happening!  I think this is the direction I will hopefully continue to grow into. 

So, with all the fine teaching you are receiving, there is an excellent chance your drum style will develop on its own.  When you bring that to whatever type of music you are playing, you will really have something.  Good luck.

Posted: July 19, 2013 08:51 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi everyone!
  My teacher, who I’ve had since I was 17 (1 year after I began my drumming journey) & parted ways w/ when I was 33, made DARN SURE that I was exposed to all different types of music (since @ that time all I was interested in was Neil Peart). He’d make mixed tapes (remember those?) of everyone from Hal Blaine, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Bonzo, Ginger, Moonie, Mitch, Bill Bruford & Alan White, Simon Phillips, Copeland, Randy Costillo, Gadd, Steve Smith, Sly Dunbar, Phil Rudd, & the list goes on. I didn’t really realize it @ that particular time, but what he was doing was exposing me to Jazz, Rock, Metal, Folk, Reggae, 60’s music, Progressive Rock (my now preferred style), & Pop. As time went on & I progressed, the tapes were of Billy Cobham, Manu Katche, Rod Morgenstein, Kenny Aronoff, Bozzio (Terry’s “Melodic Drumming & The Ostinato VHS tapes [remember those?] were required viewing), Dave Weckl, Erskine, David Garibaldi, Dennis Chambers, Omar Hakim, & more… See, he was ensuring that my music listening experiences would be eclectic & versatile, because then as a natural “by-product” of that, my DRUMMING would be eclectic & versatile! Well, it sure as heck worked! Now when a band-leader needs a drummer to fill in @ the last moment, I get the call-because they know that, weather they’re a Jazz, Pop, cover, 80’s, R&B, Fusion, Rock (any style), band, I can fill the throne!
  To all of you drummers out there reading this that are new to this beautiful instrument, I’ll be honest-I didn’t like listening to all of the aforementioned styles @ 1st (& really didn’t understand why I was being instructed to). Mabye your teacher does the same, mabye not. Personally, I do it w/ MY students! I teach as I have been taught. That dosen’t mean that I’m not flexible to each student-I absolutley am! But I use the same general approach that Jerm did w/ me so many years ago!
  In closing, I ask you to keep this in the back of your mind…the more styles of music that you can play, the more hire-able you are, ergo, the more gigs you’ll get!
Brian Jezuit

Posted: July 19, 2013 08:57 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

P.S. = I forgot to mention that the “Melodic Drumming & The Ostinato-Volumes 1,2, & 3” by: Terry Bozzio are finally available on a 3-DVD Set from Drum Channel! Go to their website. They were put out in late 2010! & thank goodness because my VHS tapes were so degraded from all of the years of being played & studied. The 3-DVD Set is also remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround & the discs are Region free!

Posted: August 13, 2013 12:32 PM

SBDEE

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 15

Hi, thanks for your in depth answer!!
My tutor is 62, and I have been learning with him for 5 years now, since I was 6 almost 7. He does drop names for me to look up on you tube, and you are right, I may not really like or play much jazz for example, but he knows that something in that style will come in handy.
I learn all kinds of styles for my exams, and I actually decided I like jazz/funk now! every week he will give me 1 or 2 names to go and watch, and this week he gave me a double dvd of Steve Smith! I really like my tutor too, he is so easy to understand, we are more like friends now!
Bridie smile

drumbri24 - 19 July 2013 08:51 AM

Hi everyone!
  My teacher, who I’ve had since I was 17 (1 year after I began my drumming journey) & parted ways w/ when I was 33, made DARN SURE that I was exposed to all different types of music (since @ that time all I was interested in was Neil Peart). He’d make mixed tapes (remember those?) of everyone from Hal Blaine, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Bonzo, Ginger, Moonie, Mitch, Bill Bruford & Alan White, Simon Phillips, Copeland, Randy Costillo, Gadd, Steve Smith, Sly Dunbar, Phil Rudd, & the list goes on. I didn’t really realize it @ that particular time, but what he was doing was exposing me to Jazz, Rock, Metal, Folk, Reggae, 60’s music, Progressive Rock (my now preferred style), & Pop. As time went on & I progressed, the tapes were of Billy Cobham, Manu Katche, Rod Morgenstein, Kenny Aronoff, Bozzio (Terry’s “Melodic Drumming & The Ostinato VHS tapes [remember those?] were required viewing), Dave Weckl, Erskine, David Garibaldi, Dennis Chambers, Omar Hakim, & more… See, he was ensuring that my music listening experiences would be eclectic & versatile, because then as a natural “by-product” of that, my DRUMMING would be eclectic & versatile! Well, it sure as heck worked! Now when a band-leader needs a drummer to fill in @ the last moment, I get the call-because they know that, weather they’re a Jazz, Pop, cover, 80’s, R&B, Fusion, Rock (any style), band, I can fill the throne!
  To all of you drummers out there reading this that are new to this beautiful instrument, I’ll be honest-I didn’t like listening to all of the aforementioned styles @ 1st (& really didn’t understand why I was being instructed to). Mabye your teacher does the same, mabye not. Personally, I do it w/ MY students! I teach as I have been taught. That dosen’t mean that I’m not flexible to each student-I absolutley am! But I use the same general approach that Jerm did w/ me so many years ago!
  In closing, I ask you to keep this in the back of your mind…the more styles of music that you can play, the more hire-able you are, ergo, the more gigs you’ll get!
Brian Jezuit

Signature 

12 year old drummer girl.