New Metal Drummers

Posted: January 10, 2011 11:02 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I just read a comment on our facebook page from a drummer who thinks “new” metal drummers need to hit harder. Any opinion out there?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 11, 2011 06:35 PM

Drumfiend

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

“Dam Straits”, need to get rid rid of those mambie-pambie sticks them metal guys use and step up to a Real Mans basher… A 28oz. attention getter made by Stanley. Turn-em around and the claws make a noticeable effect on the cymbals….

Posted: January 12, 2011 03:04 AM

carlo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Why hit harder….?
Because it’s metal and it’s supposed to be louder?
I love metal but there’s no need to hit harder.
In metal, as in other music genres, dynamics are important. Simply playing harder kills the dynamics.
And hitting harder also increases the risk of injuries.
So, no point in just hitting hard, better to hit with technique and feel.

Posted: January 12, 2011 02:52 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I’m not a fan of drummers that “beat their drums like they owe them money.” I think drums are an instrument and they should be treated as such. However, if you have the money to constantly be replacing broken gear, then more power to ya.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: January 13, 2011 07:00 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107
Rev.D. - 12 January 2011 02:52 PM

I’m not a fan of drummers that “beat their drums like they owe them money.” .

As a credit & collection manager I resent that!

Any individual drum will sound best at a certain dynamic range. IMO most drums sound better loud. Some can sound great quiet, but not all. A lot has to do with the player as well. Most drums get to a point, especially snares, where they no longer sound good as you hit harder.

That said, with quality mics, and sound & recording engineers adding affects, does it matter any more?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: January 13, 2011 08:42 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

I feel as a drummer that technique is better than strength.  Technique makes wherever you hit sing, whether it’s a regular hit or an accent or a ghost note, it just brings the feel ya know?  but sometimes though, when you get that adrenaline pumping from a badass metal riff, you get that intention and energy to play harder and put that energy to the crowd!  I mostly play a little harder during a show because it makes people feel that energy, but when I’m at practice I definitely don’t try and break my skins or hurt my drum in anyway, shape, or form lol Technique will always make you louder anyways, so being louder is the only key if your music is played louder, you just have to learn to match it up!!!

LONG LIVE METAL!!!!!!

Posted: January 13, 2011 10:21 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

You guys are correct. It is about technique, but also the equipment(mikes, effects, etc.) that you use. For me its all about playing with control and technique, so I am able to make my drums project while exerting as little energy as possible.  I also like to be relaxed behind my kit and let the mics do all the work, because it limits the amount of volume coming from the stage behind the mains so the sound man has more room to work with in the mix.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: May 04, 2011 05:46 PM

ProgDrumSolutions

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

If its not loud enough, turn it up. Hitting it harder only breaks things.

I also think volume by force will cost you speed, and energy. Im an old school rock style drummer. I beat the crap out of my kit, and I hate it. I learned playing Metallica, Megadeath and Pantera. And while some speed was there, it was about power. Todays drummers are phenominal. With one handed rolls, and heal-toe double bass, it lets me know how bad I suck.

I say screw volume. I can amp the kit and make it louder. Give me technique, accuracy, dexterity and speed, in that order.

Signature 

Progressive Drumming Solutions
Dwayne
Owner, drummer, designer

Posted: July 07, 2011 09:42 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

It depends on a number of different things from venue to the actual drums to technique to the drummer him/herself. I like to look at my drums as an extension of myself. You have to play what feels right to you. Whether it’s beating the crap out of them or playing lightly, drums are like any instrument, they are an expression.
That being said, metal should not be played lightly. You don’t have to kill the drums but dont baby it. I went to one of Haste the Days farewell shows and there was a local band playing I won’t mention the name. The songs were well written and artful, which is surprising for hardcore lol but the drummer was being a bit of a pansy about it. I was a little disappointed. All in all it’s up to the drummers discretion. Just make the drums interesting to watch and you should be fine.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun