Resonant Head Question

Posted: June 02, 2013 11:58 PM

Yetso97

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

Hi guys, I’ve been using Evan heads for years now, but I’m having issues finding a good resonant head. I’m thinking about grabbing the EC2 resos… Right now I have the G1s as my reso heads and they give me far too much ring for my taste. I want a nice, deep, tonal, thump out of my toms. Would the EC2s be a good head to help get that sound? If not, which other Evans heads would you guys recommend?

Thanks all,
~Yetso

Signature 

Phrasing people!!! Phrasing!!!

Posted: June 05, 2013 09:40 AM

JDragon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 23

Hello- I personally like a bit of resonance but in the late 70’s/ early 80’s liked the ‘thump’ without so much ring (it was the style then!) I went bottomless for a while to get rid of that resonance, but do like the warmth of the bottom heads. The EC2 might help, but we used to use the hydraulic (oil filled) from Evans. They still have the warmth but dampen a LOT. I used blue, but they have clear and black. Also experiment with tuning the reso’s lower- that sometimes cuts back the ring. You may also want to try some light muffling/ like a foam strip, small felt or (I hate it!) -tape…. Good Luck finding your sound!

Posted: June 05, 2013 06:21 PM

Yetso97

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

I have the hydraulics as my batter heads, they helped a lot, but I still feel like the G1s on the reso really ring too much… I’ll mess around with the tuning tomorrow and post my findings.

Signature 

Phrasing people!!! Phrasing!!!