CLASSIFICATION OF AN ADVANCED DRUMMER

Posted: September 11, 2013 08:31 AM

Zaragemca

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

This is a subject which I created some years ago for my Percussion/Drumming- Instruction, it doesn’t means that every drummer have to do it, if you are making money and happy with whatever you play, (there is nothing wrong with that), but if somebody want to walk the extra-mile and have the time,  then could use it as resources…1.-Concept of Timing…2.-Absolute Control of speed…3.-Grooving, Fill-In and Solos…4.-Mastering of the Dynamics and Projection…5.-Coordination between the upper-limbs, (arms)...6.-Coordination between the upper-limbs and lower-limbs, (arms and feet)...7.-Mastering of the structure of music which could be playing…8.-Interaction between the drummer and the rest of the Band members…9.- Level of Independency of the extremities…10.-Coordination between the Drummer and other percussionists, (if any)...11.-Use of the Cymbals…12 Playing Combine Time signatures, like, 5/4 - 6/8 - 7/4, etc. Gerry Zaragemca

Signature 

International Club of Percussionists

Posted: October 22, 2013 10:25 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Thank you for the Post, Gerry Zaragemca! Yes you’re correct, & as an instructor I concur with you on the point of ‘not every drummer having to do it’, but I’m conflicted as well. My own teacher was adamant regarding my learning all 12 of the topics that your “Advanced Drummer” course offered! & I truly believe, in my heart of hearts, that it has made me a much - not only better drummer - but a better band mate, educator, & student of the instrument that we here all love so very, very much! Writing only for myself, I can tell you that both in the past, & here in the present I make sure that my more advanced students learn all of the aforementioned topics & aspects of drumming & percussion, as I personally do not look at them as an “extra mile”, but I look at (at least 9 of them) as neccesities! Thanks again for the Post & I’d love to see what others opinion’s are on this topic, so please Post! Thanks,
Brian Jezuit

Posted: October 23, 2013 08:55 AM

Zaragemca

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

Welcome brother, thanks for your words,  I’m glad that any information could be of resources for any of the drummers out there, and that’s why I’m doing those writings.  Gerry Zaragemca

Signature 

International Club of Percussionists