FreeHand Technique

Posted: July 10, 2010 07:23 AM

TigerBill

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Although recently named and popularized by drummer Johnny Rabb, this is actually a technique that’s been around for quite a while. I’ve been working with it since the 70s and I call it the rim bounce or rim fulcrum technique. But FreeHand has a nicer ring to it and actually explains what the technique is all about. It allows you to play things that normally take two hands with only one, thus giving you a Free Hand to add whatever you want to the mix!

I find it extremely useful especially for those who have a hard time keeping steady single-handed sixteenth-notes going on the hi-hat the “legit” way! It also, of course, makes for a cool “look ma one hand!” show-off gimmick during a drum solo!

If you’re not familiar with it: As your hand and forearm move down toward the drumhead you strike the head and rim at the same time while maintaining contact with the rim of the drum. Then, when you pull the stick back up to the original starting position it forces the tip back down which strikes the drumhead a second time. So the stick strikes the drum once as you arm move down and once again as your arm moves back up, which gives you two strikes on the head for each down/up motion of your arm. Pretty cool!

Signature 

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
TigerBill.com / TensionFreeDrumming.com

Posted: July 12, 2010 09:42 AM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I use this technique during drum solos. I learned it when I injured my right hand and couldn’t use it for a month. So I started practicing the technique with my left hand.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 14, 2010 02:23 PM

TigerBill

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

It’s very cool (and showy) for drum solos but it is also extremely effective when used as the basis of various grooves. Check it out in this content too, I’ll think you’ll really dig it!

Signature 

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
TigerBill.com / TensionFreeDrumming.com