time for new heads!

Posted: October 10, 2013 02:25 AM

SBDEE

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 15

Hi,
I am thinking it is time to replace my heads. I have had hydraulics on for the last year or so, but fancy a change, may be to pinstipes, but I am not really sure. I play all styles of music, but, in my band we play rock/metal etc, so I need to think about that. can anyone recommend some heads that would be able to take a lot of wear and tear?!
I have toms, 8,10,12,14,16 and a kick, my snare is new, and I have emporer X’s on there.
SBDEE

Signature 

12 year old drummer girl.

Posted: October 23, 2013 10:20 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I like the Evans ECS2 better than Pinstripes.  Both sound phat & are easy to tune.
Emperors should also work for you.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: February 28, 2014 09:51 AM

LUDWIG58

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1
SBDEE - 10 October 2013 02:25 AM

Hi,
I am thinking it is time to replace my heads. I have had hydraulics on for the last year or so, but fancy a change, may be to pinstipes, but I am not really sure. I play all styles of music, but, in my band we play rock/metal etc, so I need to think about that. can anyone recommend some heads that would be able to take a lot of wear and tear?!
I have toms, 8,10,12,14,16 and a kick, my snare is new, and I have emporer X’s on there.
SBDEE

I like the Evans EC2 and Level 360 and the EMAD for Kick Evans Onyx are nice also.

Posted: February 28, 2014 10:29 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank

Pinstripes are a good idea for wear and tear, and are also pretty easy to tune. I’ve been using Remo Emperors on my toms for the past couple years, and find that they are pretty durable and provide a lot of resonance. Might be worth a shot. Good luck!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: March 20, 2014 01:05 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Hi all! Great to be back on. I haven’t been on as much as I’d like, due to a few minor (yet annoying) personal things that are transpiring in my life now. & for that, I sincerely apologize for that. I’m very (for lack of better terminology) “lazy” about changing my heads. I should change them a bit more often, as I use the Remo/DW Coated/Clears, which are single-ply. Although they are durable for being single-ply (about equal to Remo clear Ambassadors, as the DW heads are of a medium weight), I personally tend to let them go for a bit longer than I should. For my snare batter heads (both main & side-snares) I use the newer Remo C.S. ‘X’ models. Since I began playing, I favored Remo’s coated C.S. Reverse Dots. The ‘X’ models are a bit thicker, at 12 mils, w/ a 5 mil Dot.
  I don’t have to change them as often as the original C.S. Dot batters, but I should change even them more often than I actually do. For some reason, I’ve always felt comfortable w/ the sound of my heads once they’re really worn in. I’ve heard & read that from other drummers in interviews. Although my current tom/snare batter heads are pretty worn for wear, the sound is very much still in tune & pleasing to my ears. & when it comes to my kick batter heads-forget it! I actively used my Sonor Designer kit for 5 years & never changed the clear P3 head, believe it or not. I had a double Remo Falam Slam impact patch on it & it never let me down. I guess that’s why I love Remo so much. I’ve had students that used Evans, & they’re heads never lasted as long as mine (& our amount of activity was comparable). My own teacher endorses Aquarian & has since 2003. He gets a great amount of mileage from his model choices,  & he’s very active in the drumming community here in PA.
  I guess that it all in the drummer’s own preference! I tell my students that if their heads are still staying in tune & they feel confident that they won’t break in the middle of practice or a performance, then keep them on. As I aforementioned, many drummers prefer the sound of a ‘broken in’ head as opposed to a new one, just as many drummers like to play cymbals that are ‘broken in’ as opposed to brand new ones-Charlie Watts being one of those drummers.
  Thanks & be well.
Brian Jezuit

Posted: March 20, 2014 06:41 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank

I went to pick up some new heads, hoping to try the vintage remos.  The remo selection was poor, so I ended up with Evans, coated G2 over clear G1, for the toms.  So far I like them.  They provide all the lows I need, but with a nice tone.

Signature 

loud is my forte