I’ll Kick It Off…

Posted: January 28, 2011 12:31 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Hey Jason,

Who were your biggest influences — drummers and/or non-drummers — and what did you learn from each of them?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: February 01, 2011 07:36 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 18

ha ha nice question Andy!!

Influences
first one - Peter Criss.  KISS is what made me want to be in a band, I already wanted to play drums, but KISS made me want to play in a band, even though Gene was my favorite guy - and still to this day the only one I’ve ever met out of the 4 original members.  What did I learn from KISS??  Always make sure you’re an EQUAL member that gets EQUAL rights - publishing,royalties,merch, etc.  and I also learned that too many “extra-curricular activities”  are an easy way to get fired from your gig!  You don’t see Ace and Peter in the band still do ya??

Stewart Copeland - awesome, totally awesome, and I wanted to know every Police song back to front when I was 13.  Sadly enough I probably also played it better back then.

Clive Burr/Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden, nothing else needs to be said

Neil Peart - was, and will always be my main man!  I can’t say enough about Neil, really I can’t.  From the playing, to the kits, to the lyrics, I loved me some RUSH - and they are still my fav #1 band, and I have even been lucky enough to spend 15 minutes with Neil backstage (thanks Lorne), I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about it.  He was/is awesome, and will always be “The Professor.”

Simon/Billy -  Phillips with Judas Priest/Pete Townsend/Beck it doesn’t matter, it had me going “wow”.  Cobham primarily with his Glass Menagerie band, I didn’t get into Mahavishnu till years later.

Lars/Dave/Charlie - Metallica/Anthrax/Slayer   this is what primarily made me the player that I am today.  I wanted to be a thrash drummer since I was 15, took awhile but I got here eventually, but not without these guys.  Heck- I was even in Anthrax for 2 days!!  thanks Charlie! 

Mark Zonder - this is where my progressive side went further than Rush…........i got a lot of my splashwork from Mark

Pete Sandoval/Derek Roddy/Gene Hoglan/Sean Reinert - these are the guys that pushed me more with the extreme side of drumming

Steve Smith/Gavin Harrison - my two favorite drummers of the last 5 years, hands down.  I always loved Steve, but he just gets better and better.  and Gavin - needs no explaining too- he’s another master.

and there are many more that Ill think of after I log out!!!  but that’s the majority