Good hi hat stands

Posted: January 28, 2011 12:36 AM

ilikebike

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

ok guys, in my short span of playing drums i have used quite a few different hi hat stands and almost every one (except the high end kits i got to play at guitar center) had the hi hat rod tilted or bent so one side of the cymbal was touching the bottom cymbal and it just makes for sloppy playing. now the most i ever spent on a hi hat stand was like 50$ on a double braced Ludwig, very solid stand, but again same problem with the rod. Could i just have a machinist thread the end of a piece of titanium rod or something so it wont bend or be flimsy. Should i splurge the money on an expensive pearl stand? any one have any ideas they would like to throw around with past experiences that would be great thanks!!!!!!!

Posted: January 28, 2011 12:51 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Your message made me wonder how you pack your hardware. I experienced the same problem when I was younger and more prone to toss stands into car trunk rather than packing them into trap cases. But I haven’t had a hi-hat pull rod bend in a very long time, after I began to treat my stands with more care. At the end of a gig, I barely move anything offstage until it’s safely packed in a bag.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 28, 2011 01:05 AM

ilikebike

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

hmm that could be, my stand is about 3-4 years old and i have moved it around quite a bit with out a case. Im looking at buying a tama iron cobra hardware upgrade which will include

-Iron Cobra Lever-Glide Hi-Hat Cymbal Stand

-Tama Cobra Clutch

-Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Kick Pedal with Cobra Coil

ive read good things about tama’s hard ware (I have older iron cobra’s right now) but i read up on this tama cobra clutch they have, unfortunately its only compatible with a iron cobra hi hat stand, but its time for me to upgrade my equipment any ways. i just bought a slightly used pearl export kit, and a tama power tower rack. Replaced all the heads and snare because i joined a band and want to take my drumming a little more seriously. from what i have herd, tama stuff last 10+ years so if i spend the money on it, at least ill be gettin my moneys worth

Posted: January 28, 2011 01:16 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I love Iron Cobra pedals. Nice line-up.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 31, 2011 07:06 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190
Andy Doerschuk - 28 January 2011 12:51 AM

Your message made me wonder how you pack your hardware.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: February 10, 2011 02:43 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

I have Tama Hihat and pedals- love them- I always remove the rod and top of stand, turn rod around and reinsert into top of stand and hold in place with the drop clutch- therefore the threaded part of the rod is inside the top of the stand, than I pack that in a small section of a protected bag- never a bent rod.