Recording With the Zoom H2

Posted: February 02, 2011 10:03 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26

Hi Jason.

It’s great to have you in this forum!  I think you’re a fantastic drummer.  Not too long ago I saw you on DrumChannel.com playing a dueling drum solo with Marco Minnemann, and I was floored - it was awesome.

I was looking for a recording device to record my drums, and I came across the Zoom H2.  One of the things that solidified my decision to purchase the H2 is a drum solo you recorded using the device.  Besides playing an incredible drum solo, the sound of your drums (and cymbals) was great as well.  There was no doubt - I had to get the H2.  So I did!

My question to you is if you remember what settings on the H2 did you use for that recording as far as compression goes, and the like.  Also, how far away was the H2 from your drums, and how high was it placed?  I’ve been fiddling around with the settings on mine, but if you at all remember any of these settings, that would be less work for me.  smile  If I could get a recording of my drums like yours sounded, I’d be happy indeed.

I realize that my room most likely does not have the same characteristics as where that drum solo was recorded, but hopefully I can duplicate the settings on the H2, at least.

Again, thanks for doing this with Drum! Magazine, and continued success!

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: February 03, 2011 06:18 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 18

Hi Omar,
Well I have to honestly say I don’t know how to answer this question…..........I feel you may have me mistaken for someone else

Due to the Marco jam question I would say maybe you may be confusing me with my very good friend Derek Roddy?? ( I’ve never been to the DrumChannel headquarters yet)  Marco is a friend of mine but the only time we’ve ever played together was here in a small studio in NY when Marco was up here a few years back rehearsing for Necrophagist.  and i know we didn’t have any cameras running that day.

so I appreciate the compliments, but I don’t think they’re intended for me wink

H2 solo??  got me on that one too my friend…........I haven’t really used the H2 much in the last number of years due to the Q3 and Q3HD now being my main ZOOM products.

I use the Q3 for all my YouTube vids, and it’s very simple, set it up, put the audio selection on “AUTO”, and hit record, it’s as simple as that.

you can check out any of these Q3 vids at http://www.youtube.com/jasonbittner

c ya

Posted: February 03, 2011 06:40 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank

Hi Jason.

Thanks for the reply!  So it was Derek Roddy at Drum Channel then.  My mistake!  Well, in case you want to know, that dueling solo was awesome!  smile

Thanks for the info on the H2 as well.  Someday I’ll upgrade to the Q3, then!  Actually, since you set your recording level to ‘auto’, I’ll just do the same with the H2, and go from there.

Anyway, continued success to you!

Signature 

Posted: February 03, 2011 08:34 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank

actually you cant set the H2 for AUTO, only l,m,h

I would try the low setting, and put it on the floor (between your 2 kicks if you have two)
and try that

good luck

Posted: February 03, 2011 10:03 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank

Hey Jason.

That’s great!  I’m going to give it a shot, experimenting with the H2 at different distances from the bass drum (it’s just one, but with a double pedal), with the setting on low.

By the way, that drum solo you recorded with the H2 is still the bomb.  If anyone reading this wants to hear it, the link is above.

Signature 

Posted: February 04, 2011 07:44 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank

haha NOW I know what solo that is…...........I forgot that was up on the website

you can also find the video for that on youtube

just search Jason Bittner clinic Adams drum world, Holland

hope the h2 works for you
j