relationships with other drummers…

Posted: February 02, 2011 11:13 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

You are a kickass drummer dude, and I have a lot of respect for you when you “metalfy” drum beats in other music as you did in your video, very clever stuff! :D

I was wondering if you and Chris Adler ever traded off licks and just bullcrapped around together for the hell of it, because if I witnessed that myself, that would inspire me so much to play even more!  keep kicking ass on stage man!

Posted: February 03, 2011 06:09 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 18

Thanks for the kind words, yes the “metalfy” concept I kinda came up with initially when I was at Berklee as a means to practice what was required, combined with what I was interested in at that time.  (Hey I was an 18 year old preoccupied with Slayer).

Anyways, as far as the drummer “hang”, Chris and I have known each other for a long time,and we’ve toured together quite a few times over the last decade (almost) - going all the way back to 2002 when we toured together in vans as co-headliners on the White Trash Thrash Attack tour…..........ah the good old days!  And come to think of it i think that may be the only time we actually “traded licks”, or maybe more so us just drinking a few beers and talking about our drums and favorite drummers.  Chris and I share a very strong bond over Shannon Larkin and Wrathchild America.
As a matter of fact I still have pics of us on a very drunken night in Orlando, Florida with Richard Christy cranking Wrathchild on our bus and annoying everyone around us!

We actually did try to put something together initially for the MD fest 2005, but since we weren’t playing the same day, there wasn’t enough stage room to keep both kits set up for both days, hence no jam.

So as I said, we have spent a good amount of time together but it’s usually spent, bullshitting, having a beer, or chatting about our families.

Posted: February 03, 2011 08:33 PM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank

Damn, so compelling to have good memories with another drummer that really inspires!  You guys really do have great ideas for drumming and knowing where to put things to get that “clinch” on a song that satisfies both the band and yourself…  I mean, you really really do kick ass, and im not trying to kiss ass but just talking to you like right now is so awesome, but I know you are only human lol

I also want to know what really got you started as a drummer?  And are you a fan of Pantera at all?? :o

P.S.  This is gonna get me to want to meet you sometime in the future if our band starts getting it right with our writing too (meaning if we tour big lol), it’s pretty challenging yet fun and expressive!

Posted: February 04, 2011 07:49 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 18

Thanks for the kind words, yes Chris and I are lucky to an extent where we CAN get some chops in to satisfy ourselves as well as serve the song, because remember our main job as drummers is to
serve the song

that being said, you can read about my influences in one of the other posts on here- i go into great detail

of course I was (and still am) into Pantera - Vinnie is the Bonham of groove metal, and Darrell - well he was my friend, and that’s all I want to say about that before I start getting upset!  It was an honor to know that man, and I still stay in contact with Vince at least a few times a year

good luck with your band
j

Posted: February 07, 2011 09:04 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank

Ya, I know exactly what you mean!  I’ve been loving Pantera for about 9 years now because of my dad always attempted to shred guitar to Vulgar!!!!!  I’d be in his room (4 years old) and just listening and I’d be headbanging and jumping on the bed viciously!  God I fucking love Pantera!!!!  By Demons Be Driven every Day!!!!!!

I got one more question to ask, when you first started playing as a drummer and being in a band, what was the most difficult task of trying to get it together, was it just practicing itself, procrastination? or was it the dedication, or even writing the songs??

Posted: February 07, 2011 09:11 AM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank

oh and thank you for the good luck quote :D!