Drummers karaoke?

Posted: February 04, 2011 08:31 AM

Invictus138

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

Hello all!
I was watching TV the other night and one of those classic rock CD collection commercials came on. I started thinking about how fun it would be to play drums to all those classic songs. A full song, just with the drum tracks removed, so you can play along, and make up your own thing. Just like karaoke haha, only for drummers. I think it’d be fun, and I’m always hearing songs and wishing I could play along, and make new drum tracks for it.
So, anyone else think of this or know if there’s anything like that available? Or if it’s even possible without re-recording the songs?

Signature 

Seven Kingdoms

Posted: February 04, 2011 09:23 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Way back in the dark ages, when people listened to music on vinyl discs known as “records” (cynicism intended), there was a series of albums called Music Minus One. They would feature a selection of songs in a particular genre with all of the parts except for one, so that musicians could play along to professional tracks. They had a number of series that catered to many types of musicians, including drummers. The whole concept seemed to go the way of the dodo bird when the CD became the popular format.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: March 27, 2011 09:49 PM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I actually do that , play along to songs without drum tracks, as part of my daily practice routine. I have a drum module that has about 100 songs, 15 or so different styles, with the drum tracks muted. I play along to every style, everyday and I love it. Unfortunately, when it comes to playing along with cover songs, I have to play to my MP3 player, drums and all. But like the click in my module, I try to make the original drum track “disapear”.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: May 23, 2011 11:56 PM

john lamb

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

Thats a great way to practice and learn - especially if you record yourself and listen back to it!! 

I haven’t done this, but I hear you can take the Rock Band games and access the original files.  There are also a bunch of songs floating around called “Multitrack Masters” that have the original files unmastered, so you can put them back together w/o the drums. 

The legality of this is in question, though,  although in theory if you are using it for educational purposes its legal.

Signature 

http://www.drumlessonsportland.com
http://www.johnlambdrums.com

Posted: May 27, 2011 11:00 PM

Dokks

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

LOTS of songs here Music4Drums they have a forum full of popular songs with the drum tracks removed.

Also search google for .moggs (multi-track .oggs). You can download Audacity beta to convert the .moggs by removing the tracks you don’t want. Here’s an example google search:

GIVE ME SOME MOGGS!

Posted: August 31, 2012 06:39 PM

ZombieSuffer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Drummer Connection has lots of Drumless play along tracks posted here
Playalongs