Shine Drums Closes — What Does It Mean?

Posted: February 04, 2011 10:36 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

A lot of people were surprised by the announcement last month that Shine Drums had gone out of business, including me.

It made me wonder if the appetite for high-ticket custom drums has changed since the economy went into recession. I believe people of every stripe have reevaluated their spending habits, whether we’re talking about buying concert tickets or milk or clothes or drums.

Plus, I think a lot of drummers who thought they had bought a “collectible” snare drum during the ’90s and early ’00s have had a rude awakening while they’ve watched prices for similar instruments take a downturn on eBay in recent years. (By the way — that’s not necessarily true of all custom drums — but the number that have retained or increased their value are far outflanked by those that haven’t.)

So how do you feel? Are you more of less likely to buy a custom-made drum kit or snare drum today than you were ten years ago? Just wondering.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: February 04, 2011 12:06 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

I recently came into a little $, by way of inheritance. I thought about getting a snare, sort of in remembrance, but also as an investment. Realistically I just can’t see any NEW drums appreciating in value to consider it a financial investment.

Maybe a limited addition from a big name manufacturer might someday be worth something, but a smaller custom manufacturer would probably need to grow in stature before the drum becomes worth something. You’re investing not only in the drum but the builder.

That said, any thing I buy is because I want to play it, not see it appreciate.  I’ll still buy customer drums, if that’s what I want.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: March 09, 2011 02:12 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

The only drums I will play are custom(except for a couple of snares). I know what I want and need from my drums and I like being able to have drums made to meet my drumming needs exactly, down to the “nuts and bolts”.  Trying to find a pre-fabricated drum that will fit my sound, style, etc., in my oppinion, is to expensive and time consuming(some assembly line drum companies can take forever when special ordering individual drums, and customs sizes, bearing edges, etc.).  If I am going to dish out cash for drums, than I am going to make sure that I get exaxtly what I need, when I need it. Even in this economy, quality is still more important to me than the price tag. But, that being said, I have been limiting my purchases recently.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.