The Funny Stuff? What was the worst gig ever?

Posted: February 05, 2011 09:55 AM

rosegate

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 37

Jason,
How about sharing some of the funnier moments of life onstage? Have you ever fallen off a stage? Had a really embarassing moment? Worst musical screwup? Worst gig ever?

Posted: February 08, 2011 10:42 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 18

lets see….....
yup fallen off a stage,
walked off a stage carrying my kick drum, almost broke my shin (but saved the drum)
twisted an ankle walking with a kick drum off a ramp
knocked BOTH sticks out of my hands at one time LIVE in front of about 2,000 people
hit myself in the privates with a stick while playing
knocked my glasses off my face with a stick during a clinic
and ALMOST shit myself on stage one nite while on tour with the flu, almost!!!

worst gig ever - when you play for the club staff only!!

happened more than a few times over the last few decades

oh yeah - worst musical screwup was when i played in Crisis and it was my first gig with the band, and i absolutely couldn’t hear the guitar, and i had no idea where we were during this chaotic part of a tune, and i was forced to actually stop the song, and start again.

fortunately, that’s happened only once in my lifetime!!
so far

Posted: February 22, 2011 12:02 AM

unicursalhex

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4
jason bittner - 08 February 2011 10:42 AM

lets see….....
yup fallen off a stage,
walked off a stage carrying my kick drum, almost broke my shin (but saved the drum)
twisted an ankle walking with a kick drum off a ramp
knocked BOTH sticks out of my hands at one time LIVE in front of about 2,000 people
hit myself in the privates with a stick while playing
knocked my glasses off my face with a stick during a clinic
and ALMOST shit myself on stage one nite while on tour with the flu, almost!!!

worst gig ever - when you play for the club staff only!!

happened more than a few times over the last few decades

oh yeah - worst musical screwup was when i played in Crisis and it was my first gig with the band, and i absolutely couldn’t hear the guitar, and i had no idea where we were during this chaotic part of a tune, and i was forced to actually stop the song, and start again.

fortunately, that’s happened only once in my lifetime!!
so far

I have had two of these happen to me, the having to stop mid song and the flu shits! The near shatting happened while breaking down the kit, on stage would have been horrible! As for having to stop I blame the drugged up sound guy, I all of the sudden couldn’t hear shit through my monitors at the worst possible point in a song that had no time signature, just a bunch of complicated parts in a row, in this show there were no drums… You dropped both sticks? damn! Did you hand jive for a second or just say fuck it and take the time to grab some sticks?

Signature 

“Never go with a hippie to a second location”

Posted: February 22, 2011 06:17 AM

jason bittner

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 18

nope in the split second when i knocked the other stick out of the other hand, luckily my brain said “do something with your feet”, so luckily i did some sort of fill that held it all together whilst i grabbed another set of tree limbs