Studio Drumming

Posted: July 11, 2010 09:53 AM

dmeza

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

I started recording drum cover videos and uploading them onto youtube. I always got a good sound because we had a friend and his wife store some of their belongings in the garage, so the acoustics were pretty good. Now that they have moved out their stuff, there is a loud echo and the sound is just not the same.

Can anyone give advise on what to do to get a good room sound in a garage that is practically empty, I can’t stand this huge echo I’m hearing! Thank you! youtube.com/danielmezadrums

Posted: July 11, 2010 10:21 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Unfortunately, whatever you do will cost some money, unless you can convince another friend to store stuff in your garage.

There are a number of types of acoustic foam on the market, which are sold as panels that adhere to the walls and will reduce the reverberation and brightness that you currently hear. If you’re handy, you can also build recording-studio quality sound baffles to surround your drums. I found a pretty good how-to article about building them at http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0801/baffle.htm. I’ve also seen some people hang heavy drapes to deaden a loud room. Good luck!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 12, 2010 12:24 PM

Dave Heim

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Those drapes Andy suggests could be as simple as those heavy quilted moving blankets.  You can pick up a bunch for not a lot of money at a place like this:  http://www.movingblanketsusa.com/?gclid=CLvyxorb5qICFZQz5wodoi_hTQ

Posted: July 17, 2010 02:49 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

If you have the cash to dish out, you should buy some professional acoustic foam. If not, you can go to your nearest carpet store and ask them for the carpet they have removed from peoples houses. They usually throw it away so they should give it to you. Grab some nails and cover every surface you can in your garage. Cheap and effective.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 19, 2010 08:34 PM

dmeza

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

REV! You’re the man! Thank you for the idea of finding used carpet. I searched free carpet on craigslist and found almost new carpet for free! Thanks again.

Posted: July 20, 2010 10:01 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Your welcome. Glad I could be of assistance.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: August 21, 2010 09:34 PM

dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 40

another great website for sound proofing foam is www.foambymail.com there the cheapest iv found around and the’ve got a great selection

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: August 22, 2010 11:15 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

I found this thread on friday, took me long enough, and I checked out that link andy posted for the baffles. lemme tell you how simple it was to make those baffles. count the fingers on your right hand. see how easy that was? I made one of those movable baffles for my basement with well under 50 bucks. everything you need should be at lowes or home depot or your local hardware store. the only thing i did different was I didnt put casters on the bottom but otherwise, it was really cheap and easy. you may want to look into this as a weekend project for yourself. I highly recommend it.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun