Shell Packs or Complete Kits

Posted: February 19, 2011 03:40 PM

pyrodrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Remember the days when good drums sold as a complete kit (Including hardware)? For the most part, those days are long gone. There are a few companies that still offer complete kit but, mostly only 5pc or less. Other than that, one is forced to go the shell pack route. I have two kits (Mapex Pro M 7pc & RMV 8pc) Both kit came with hardware and that is why I purchased them. I would like to purchase another (New) kit of 7 or more pieces but, I can’t seem to find a good kit that comes complete with hardware. Even PDP has gone to selling shell packs. My questions to all of you are, Has the shell pack method of sales put a damper on the industry or, has it been a boost?

Posted: February 28, 2011 09:48 PM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I think shell packs are very convenient and the obvious choice for seasoned (working drummers) because most companies (with few exceptions) have either great drums or great hardware but not both. Some drummers such as myself don’t like what any mass production drum companies offer, so I have my drums custom made and purchase hardware from another company. For the beginner drummer who does not need road worthy drums and gear, or a “high performance” shell material, most drum companies offer decent starter kits with decent hardware. But top of the line kits with hardware included can be rediculously expensive. I think having a choice acording to your drumming needs is a good thing.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: March 01, 2011 07:07 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

My last kit was a shell pack. I already had some decent hardware, so why add the extra cost of getting more. That said, I’ve been slowing replacing all that hardware since. But that’s the point. I can always add stands later, when I can afford it.

Signature 

loud is my forte