Drummers that live in apartments >_<

Posted: March 30, 2011 11:24 AM

markanton1000@aol.com

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

Greetings fellow musicians:
Just letting out some frustration regarding this new found issue…

I have been playing the drum set since 16 and now at 24 I really took for granted the freedom and solitude of having a spot to play. After moving out of my parents I thought my troubles were over but then this I think is the biggest problem I have.  Currently my drums are in a closet and if I want to play them I have to rent a time slot at the local studio for $20 an hour. I do however play in 2 bands and do the local blues jams every month but still I have reduced my playing significantly. Having a place to play for hours, chill and zone out is something I long for.  SO to the young players the main reason for this rant is if you find yourself advancing through life and still find enjoyment and want to build up a career on the drums don’t quit for reasons like this. Obstacles will always be in your life so find something else to work on for example I have been focusing on rudiments and paradiddles on the pad, learning to read music and watching DVD’s. I’ve learned so much more and the doors have opened in different ways for me.  This problem will work it’s self out just like everything else so I guess I worked it out after all man I feel better already! Stay strong and keep playing you’ll see in time.

Mark Pisanelli.

Signature 

Drum from the heart.

Posted: March 30, 2011 11:27 AM

Phil Hood

• Administrator RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

One of the biggest reasons drummers in their ‘20s give up the instrument is finding room to store a kit and room to play. Keep on drumming.

Posted: March 30, 2011 01:02 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

Mark- is there room for you to set up with muffling devices like sound-off’s and still get practice in? Also a cheap synth kit would still allow you to practice without the external sounds. There is also a company that makes a practice pad kit…. don’t stop drumming!

Posted: April 01, 2011 06:29 AM

markanton1000@aol.com

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

Well I have an electric kit but I was playing it one day and the neighbors started hitting the wall because the tapping was to laud for them.  I found it funny and kept playing… I use to work at a music store and drum tech there was showing me some alternatives but it was a lot of $$$ but i’ll figure it out

Signature 

Drum from the heart.

Posted: September 02, 2011 11:13 PM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49
Phil Hood - 30 March 2011 11:27 AM

One of the biggest reasons drummers in their ‘20s give up the instrument is finding room to store a kit and room to play. Keep on drumming.

My story exactly.

However, I wish I would have bought a set of congas and played those (albeit quietly). Alternatively, a cajon, riq or frame drum would also have sufficed. I have also enjoyed playing with brushes and a solitary snare with brushes would also have worked.

To conclude, I have realized that there are lots of percussive alternatives to the drum set when one lives in an apartment.

GJS