2 of 2

Top 10 Unsung Heroes

Posted: October 05, 2010 09:04 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49
Dave Heim - 12 July 2010 12:08 PM

Excellent.

I would include Karen Carpenter on such a list.  An amazing singer and drummer.

She did win Playboy’s 1975 Drummer of the Year award. I read in Richard Cole’s book that Bonzo was not all that happy loosing to Karen.

GJS

Posted: January 06, 2011 12:54 PM

oldslick

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

There are many that can be noted but I will add two.  Danny Seraphine -original drummer for Chicago and Floyd Sneed-original drummer for the original Three Dog Night.

Danny had great chops that could adapt to any style, jazz, rock, pop you name it. An integral part of the Chicago sound.

Floyd had style unlike any other that added to the uniqueness of the sound of Three Dog.  He, bassist Joe Schermie, guitarist Michael Allsup and keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon created one hellova rhythm section.

Signature 

Never too old to Rock ‘n Roll!

Posted: January 06, 2011 01:08 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Floyd Sneed?! Wow, you are old (like me!). Floyd was such a powerhouse — incredible unsung drummer. Funny story — I once auditioned for Three Dog Night in the ‘80s, but didn’t get the gig. Then about seven or eight years later (like 1991-‘92), not long after we launched DRUM!, I was sitting in the office and got a call from Cory Wells, one of the band’s singers. He wanted to know if I could jump on a plane that night and fly ... somewhere (honestly, I forget exactly where). Unfortunately, at that point in the magazine’s history, I just couldn’t drop everything and take off on tour. Today I could. And would!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 31, 2011 12:15 AM

Invictus138

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

One of my favorite drummers here lately has been Uli Kusch, more specifically his work in the earlier Helloween stuff. I love the energy and feeling he puts in the songs, like in “Where the Rain Grows” and “Sole Survivor”. It just makes me happy, haha.

Signature 

Seven Kingdoms

Posted: January 31, 2011 10:29 PM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

He has been getting more recognition over the past few years, but nowhere near as much as he deserves: Joey Baron.

I also get rather irritated by the idiots (usually on YouTube) who put down Terry Bozzio. Ridiculous! The drumming world would not be the same without him.

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

2 of 2