stuck in a rut?

Posted: April 26, 2011 01:58 PM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

Have you ever been stuck in a rut; not knowing how to advance your skills on the kit?

That’s me.. I feel like a I have been playing the same stuff for too long and I am not learning new things as quickly. I need some advice or tips from all the other brother and sister drummers who have been in my stuck shoes…

Posted: April 27, 2011 02:22 PM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Sometimes rearranging the kit can spark your creativity. Switch the mounted toms to go low to hi, put a floor tom next to your hi hat. Put the ride on the left instead of the right side. Take away gear, try a three piece or two piece (bikini).

You can also help the economy & buy new gear! That always makes things more fun. Book & videos help. Clinics are great.

As always, go back over your rudiments. (If I don’t say it someone else will!)

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: May 05, 2011 01:45 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Try listening to, and playing along with music that is completely different than what you usually listen and play to. That will help give you new ideas and expand your catalog of drumming styles. I play contemporary rock in my current band, but I listen to a lot of praise and worship, jazz, blues and 70"s funk. You could also try practicing your drum rudiments not only on a practice pad, but on your kit, incorporating different drums and cymbals.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: May 05, 2011 01:50 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190
bigbeat - 27 April 2011 02:22 PM

You can also help the economy & buy new gear! That always makes things more fun.

So true.LOL.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.